Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Several missing dependencies are needed for Debian 11

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
foxsquirrel

Several missing dependencies are needed for Debian 11

#1 Post by foxsquirrel »

Any suggestions on this are welcome, we are building a machine dedicated to yocto builds and would prefer to use Debian.
Hold up is the list of dependencies for TI's yocto, they are all present for Ubuntu 22.04 but not available for Debian.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf       automake bison       flex libssl-dev bc u-boot-tools       python3 diffstat       texinfo gawk chrpath dos2unix       wget unzip socat doxygen libc6:i386       libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386       libz1:i386 g++-multilib       git python3-distutils python3-apt

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libc6:i386
E: Unable to locate package libncurses5:i386
E: Unable to locate package libstdc++6:i386
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libstdc++6'
E: Unable to locate package libz1:i386

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Several missing dependencies are needed for Debian 11

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
foxsquirrel wrote: 2023-03-17 12:37 we are building a machine dedicated to yocto builds [..] list of dependencies for TI's yocto, they are all present for Ubuntu 22.04 but not available for Debian.

sudo apt-get install [..] libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libz1:i386 g++-multilib[..]

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libc6:i386
E: Unable to locate package libncurses5:i386
E: Unable to locate package libstdc++6:i386
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libstdc++6'
E: Unable to locate package libz1:i386
You are probably trying to install packages compiled for i386 (32 bit) architecture in a amd64 (64bit) architecture installation.

First of all, you have to verify if it is really required. Then, if you really require a multiarch installation, you have to configure your Debian installation for it [1] before installing packages compiled for a foreign architecture (for example, an i386 install in an amd64 install).

---
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

lkraemer

#3 Post by lkraemer »

You should also install the headers for your kernel:

$ sudo apt install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

assuming you are a member of the sudo group.

$ groups user
will tell you the groups you are a member of.

Larry

foxsquirrel

#4 Post by foxsquirrel »

Aki wrote: 2023-03-17 13:38

First of all, you have to verify if it is really required.

---
That is the part we are uncertain of.

Moving to yocto for embedded arm development and not sure what we can and cannot do.

Just going by the instructions from Ti they verified against Ubuntu 18.04 and we have been able to build images that do boot using their instructions. That also works in VMware Workstation 17 with a 18.04 image also native on one of our retired servers that is only 4 cores. It is slow going so it needs to go on a dedicated box with the preferred OS. Did try running it on a headless 18.04 server build and it did not work due to the missing dependencies.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
foxsquirrel wrote: 2023-03-17 16:21
Aki wrote: 2023-03-17 13:38 First of all, you have to verify if it is really required.
---
That is the part we are uncertain of. Moving to yocto for embedded arm development and not sure what we can and cannot do.
[..]
Did try running it on a headless 18.04 server build and it did not work due to the missing dependencies.
What is the CPU of the headless 18.04 server build you wish to install on ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

foxsquirrel

#6 Post by foxsquirrel »

What is the CPU of the headless 18.04 server build you wish to install on ?
Its on an old dell T110 II, installed the desktop 18.04 and did have the correct packages and yocto did build. Been ssh'n into it because the video output is for a small screen and looks funky on modern monitors.

New machine will be dell 3660 with I9 16 core

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#7 Post by lindi »

lkraemer wrote: 2023-03-17 14:29 You should also install the headers for your kernel:
Hmm, I doubt you would need headers for your current kernel if you are planning to cross-build yocto (which doesn't even use Debian kernels)?

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#8 Post by lindi »

foxsquirrel wrote: 2023-03-17 12:37

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf       automake bison       flex libssl-dev bc u-boot-tools       python3 diffstat       texinfo gawk chrpath dos2unix       wget unzip socat doxygen libc6:i386       libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386       libz1:i386 g++-multilib       git python3-distutils python3-apt
All of these seem to install just fine if you enable the i386 architecture as was suggested:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Are you copying what was installed on an Ubuntu i386 build machine?

I ask because the instructions on yocto's page don't specify any architecture:

$ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool
kernel headers won't hurt, but they won't help, either...
MX Linux packager and developer

foxsquirrel

#10 Post by foxsquirrel »

kernel headers won't hurt, but they won't help, either...
I will try installing the headers on a debian machine and see if the headers will make a difference.
Both machines are amd64.
They set that up years ago when 32 bit was king and that stuff might need to be removed. They still have python on the list too, so that was changed to python3.

yocto has so much going on and its takes some time to find stuff,

I was using the TI instructions

https://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-linux/esd/AM62X/08_06_00_42/exports/docs/linux/Overview_Building_the_SDK.html

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Did you ignore my post about not needing headers, and the list of required packages from TI itself which does specify python3 packages?

Just askin'.
MX Linux packager and developer

foxsquirrel

#12 Post by foxsquirrel »

stevepusser wrote: 2023-03-18 19:35 Did you ignore my post about not needing headers, and the list of required packages from TI itself which does specify python3 packages?

Just askin'.
I deleted the both VM's that were setup and will start over.

In the TI website they have python listed at the top just as "python" so that string posted was modified to python3.

Did find out why yocto went into turtle mode using ubuntu, firefox and snapd are causing the problems. Just removed all of that from ubuntu and it runs much better, the new issue is firefox will not start when that stuff is off.

That explains why debian performs so much better in a VM than Ubuntu does. When typing in a debian terminal it is instant, in the ubuntu terminal it pauses and that is very annoying. Blamed that on workstation 17, however that is not the reason why.