Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Where to download Debian Testing DVD with non-free firmware?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ruminator

[SOLVED] Where to download Debian Testing DVD with non-free firmware?

#1 Post by Ruminator »

Hi,

Sorry for the silly question. I am new to the Debian ecosystem. I would like to download Debian Testing ISO file with non-free firmware. I think this is the page http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl ... 4/iso-dvd/

The target machine will be a 5 years old Lenovo laptop. It is currently under Kukuntu 22.04. I see from time to time, system update also updates the Lenovo firmware. I would like to preserve the possibility of updating the Lenovo firmware when switching to Debian. Would the non-free firmware enable this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by Ruminator on 2023-03-26 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where to download Debian Testing DVD with non-free firmware?

#2 Post by sunrat »

Ruminator wrote: 2023-03-09 03:59 I would like to download Debian Testing ISO file with non-free firmware. I think this is the page http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl ... 4/iso-dvd/
Yes. It is Testing though so not guaranteed to be free of bugs.
It is currently under Kukuntu 22.04. I see from time to time, system update also updates the Lenovo firmware. I would like to preserve the possibility of updating the Lenovo firmware when switching to Debian. Would the non-free firmware enable this?
I have no idea how Kukuntu ( :mrgreen: ) handles this. If you have any package installed from an active repo, it will update during normal upgrades if a new version is available.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
If I recall correctly, the current recommended Debian Installer for the release named "Bookworm" (current testing) is the alpha 2 installer (that includes non free firmware): https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ruminator

#4 Post by Ruminator »

Used debian-bookworm-DI-alpha2-amd64-DVD-1.iso downloaded from Debian Testing, Bookworm Alpha2 + non-free firmware

Could install the Bookworm version + KDE on a Lenovo laptop. WiFi + sound all works OK so I suppose the firmware was good. The Debian installer is less user friendly than those seen on other distros. Especially for custom disk partitioning. I suppose there are advanced features in Debian Installer but I am not sure how to use. For the next machine, I will need to setup Full Disk Encryption (FDE) with custom partitions. Surprisingly there are not a lot of docs or tutorial how to enable FDE from Debian Installer.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Ruminator wrote: 2023-03-12 15:26 Used debian-bookworm-DI-alpha2-amd64-DVD-1.iso downloaded from Debian Testing, Bookworm Alpha2 + non-free firmware

Could install the Bookworm version + KDE on a Lenovo laptop. WiFi + sound all works OK so I suppose the firmware was good. The Debian installer is less user friendly than those seen on other distros. Especially for custom disk partitioning. I suppose there are advanced features in Debian Installer but I am not sure how to use. For the next machine, I will need to setup Full Disk Encryption (FDE) with custom partitions. Surprisingly there are not a lot of docs or tutorial how to enable FDE from Debian Installer.
Have you find the Debian Install Guide ? It contains a lot of useful information. For example, you can find here [1] information about partitioning and about encrypted file systems for Debian Bookworm (still in beta).

It could be nice to mark the thread solved. You can add the prefix “[SOLVED]” to the subject of the first message of the topic.

===
[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/bookwor ... -partition
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ruminator

#6 Post by Ruminator »

Aki wrote: 2023-03-15 19:12 Have you find the Debian Install Guide ? It contains a lot of useful information. For example, you can find here [1] information about partitioning and about encrypted file systems for Debian Bookworm (still in beta).

It could be nice to mark the thread solved. You can add the prefix “[SOLVED]” to the subject of the first message of the topic.
Thanks for your help. I am OK with the partitioning method, It's just slightly less user friendly with Debian Installer. But this is a negligible details. I just need to get used with the Debian Installer interface.

As for custom partitioning on encrypted partition using LUKS. The doc you mentioned is not sufficient to allow a full customization of the partition layout (eg. setting the size of the encrypted logical volume). Nevertheless, I have completed a successful experimentation. Details in this post [SOLVED] Install Debian bookworm Testing with LUKS and custom partitions