Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Looking for computer/lib folder

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Brian W

[Solved] Looking for computer/lib folder

#1 Post by Brian W »

I am using a Chromebook with a linux VM running Debian (Bullseye I think) and I am trying to manually install some audio plugins. According to my linux file manager (I think it is Konqueror) the folders are in computer/lib. I found the folders but the file manager tells me I cannot paste anything into them or change permissions because I am not the owner, even though I am the owner. I tried using the chromebook file manager instead and couldn't even find the computer/lib folder.
Last edited by Brian W on 2023-03-26 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for computer/lib folder

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Please tell us what plugins you try to install and what you are trying to accomplish. No offense, but there may be better ways than copying files to /lib.

computer/lib is not a path in Linux. There is a /lib, though, owned by root. Linux practices a separation between root files/folders and user files/folders, and if you try to make system wide changes as user, you'll run into problems with permissions.

In the rare case where you need to copy files to a folder like /lib, place the plugin in your home directory and let's say that your user is brian and the plugin is called mycoolplugin.so:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /home/brian/mycoolplugin.so /lib
(if you have sudo) or

su -

Enter root password, and

cp  /home/brian/mycoolplugin.so /lib
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Brian W

#3 Post by Brian W »

They are audio plugins and they need to go in lib/vst and lib/vst3 otherwise audio hosts can't find them. To correct my previous mistake, the Debian file manager I am using is Nautilus, in case that changes anything.

So I would type sudo cp /home/brian/libtal-chorus-lx.so /lib/vst Do I need to use all lower case?

Brian W

#4 Post by Brian W »

This was the response:

sudo cp /home/brian/libtal-chorus-lx.so/lib/vst
cp: missing destination file operand after '/home/bpweston23/libtal-chorus-lx.so/lib/vst'
Try 'cp --help' for more information.

Brian W

#5 Post by Brian W »

I've been searching the internet and I discovered another command, sudo chown -R yourusername:yourgroupname dirname Unfortunately it gave me a missing operand after. I think this is the way I want to go if I can sort it out, then I can simply move files in Nautilus.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

Brian W wrote: 2023-03-26 16:22 This was the response:

cp: missing destination file operand after '/home/bpweston23/libtal-chorus-lx.so/lib/vst'
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
You missed a space

should be

sudo cp /home/brian/libtal-chorus-lx.so /lib/vst

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

Yes, as 4D696B65 states, you are missing a space.

I would not alter ownership recursively of a large system directory like /lib. This can cause system instability.
Do I need to use all lower case?
Linux is case sensitive, so libtal-chorus-lx.so is for instance different from Libtal-chorus-lx.so
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Brian W

#8 Post by Brian W »

Thank you both. It worked nicely once I typed everything correctly!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Looking for computer/lib folder

#9 Post by sunrat »

I use quite a lot of manually installed audio plugins. They all go in my home directory in /home/username/.vst (or .vst3 or .lv2 depending on the format of the plugin). Most audio programs such as Ardour, Audacity etc. search there for plugins by default. Putting them in a system directory like /lib makes permissions more difficult and would only be necessary if you have multiple users. I also think it should be /usr/lib/ rather than /lib/ (/lib is a symlink to /usr/lib so they probably end up there anyway).
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Brian W

Re: [Solved] Looking for computer/lib folder

#10 Post by Brian W »

sunrat wrote: 2023-03-26 22:12 I use quite a lot of manually installed audio plugins. They all go in my home directory in /home/username/.vst (or .vst3 or .lv2 depending on the format of the plugin). Most audio programs such as Ardour, Audacity etc. search there for plugins by default. Putting them in a system directory like /lib makes permissions more difficult and would only be necessary if you have multiple users. I also think it should be /usr/lib/ rather than /lib/ (/lib is a symlink to /usr/lib so they probably end up there anyway).
The packages installed there by default, that's why I wanted to use it but that's a great idea to create my own folders and then set Carla to look for them there. It should have been obvious really, as that is how I did it when I was using Windows. :oops: