Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] RealVNC

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
SamuelMac

[Solved] RealVNC

#1 Post by SamuelMac »

I recently installed Debian 11 Bullseye with Mate`
I have several other computers including W10, W11, and RPOS (raspberry pie Debian).
I can connect to my rpi's from W10 and W11.
I have an account for RealVNC, downloaded and installed both the client and server.
The client works fine, I can connect to to my rpi's.

When I attempt to connect to my Debian box from W10 I get "Timed out waiting for a response from the computer"
I did some googling, I installed telnet on one of my rpi's and
telnet: could not resolve 192.168.1.108:5900/telnet: Name or service not known

The next step in the trouble shooting is to open up port 5900
I attempted to open the port and got "Bad argument '5900'
I typed iptables -h or -help and get "bash: iptables: command not found"

Before I assume that iptables is not installed... is there a firewall installed by default when Debian installs?

I did some reading and apparently getting REALVNC to work can be a difficult thing.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: RealVNC

#2 Post by steve_v »

SamuelMac wrote: 2023-03-26 21:38I attempted to open the port and got "Bad argument '5900'
Sounds like bad command-line syntax to me, but you don't say what the command you used was. vOv
Exact command and response please, in code tags.
SamuelMac wrote: 2023-03-26 21:38Before I assume that iptables is not installed... is there a firewall installed by default when Debian installs?
IIRC debian switched to nftables a while back. As far as I know there are no rules enabled by default, so it shouldn't interfere with your vnc server.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

SamuelMac

#3 Post by SamuelMac »

This is the command I used was from "bobcares.com
sudo /sbin/iptables -I INPUT 1 -p TCP --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT
It first failed at --dport I removed on of the '-' and ran it again and got the bad argument '5900'.
But if iptables is not being used I was barking up the wrong tree, like my golden retriever of many years ago.
I will do some studying on nftables.

Thank You so much steve_v!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

FWIW, I'd start by verifying your VNC server is listening on the port you think it is (hint: netstat and/or telnet to localhost), and checking to see if you actually have any active firewall rules. There's not much point in adding accept rules for a port if it wasn't denied or dropped to begin with.
Looks like the page I linked does in fact mention a default firewall, but all my installs long predate that becoming a thing. Easy enough to just flush the rules for testing at any rate.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

SamuelMac

#5 Post by SamuelMac »

Solved.
It is a client (me) issue, I had been using VNC on W10 to connect to my RPi's for a long time, I didn't realize I needed to log in to the RealVNC account on the client machine...
Thank You all for putting up with me :)