Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Weird screen flickering,tried everything (WIFI RELATED)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Maese

Re: [Software] Weird screen flickering, related with WIFI (updated)

#21 Post by Maese »

None1975 wrote: 2023-03-24 16:47
Maese wrote: 2023-03-24 03:44
Laptop is usable, i mean when i am working it is quite ok... but when watching videos it is quite annoying and it is not a desire thing to tolerate.
Hello. You can always try using wayland. With sway (Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3's features, plus a few extras) i completely forgot about screen tearing.
same thing... any idea?

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

SCREEN FLICKERING OR TEARING OR WEIRD IMAGE DISTORTION IS BEING CAUSED BY THE WIFI, WHEN CONNECTED. IF WIFI IS NOT CONNECTED NOISE DISSAPEARS. ANY IDEA?
Last edited by Maese on 2023-05-12 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

CynicalDebian

Re: [Software] Weird screen flickering,tried everything and i still (DESPERATE) need help!

#22 Post by CynicalDebian »

same thing... any idea?
I think you have confused a lot of people here by talking about 'tearing', how bad is it exactly? It sounds like from your posts it is very severe, which is why I think many of the strange xorg.conf fixes, GRUB cmdline options you set are unlikely to fix your issue.

I also don't think the issue is firmware related, theoretically Debian 11 should have good Comet Lake support, on Kernel 5.10. But it is worth backporting a newer kernel to see if there is a fix.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-Com ... -Linux-Add
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Comet-Lake-Linux-5.2

You should describe in more detail the nature of the tearing and flickering, is it only when watching Netflix? Does it only happen in a web browser? How severe is it? Go into more detail about your display configuration, (Laptop screen, or an External Screen, if so, what cable?), resolution, monitor etc...

See the section here on Intel
https://wiki.debian.org/GraphicsCard

Are you sure you are using Wayland or X11? It is unclear from your post(s). Neither when properly configured should have screen tearing issues, but Wayland is little bit overweight on purpose to try to make it not a problem.
Be seeing you...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Software] Weird screen flickering,tried everything and i still (DESPERATE) need help!

#23 Post by None1975 »

Maese wrote: 2023-03-28 03:46 same thing... any idea?
It may be related to kernel. Did you try to install the kernel from bullseye-backports?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Maese

Re: [Solved] Weird screen flickering,tried everything and i need help!

#24 Post by Maese »

None1975 wrote: 2023-03-24 16:47
Maese wrote: 2023-03-24 03:44
Laptop is usable, i mean when i am working it is quite ok... but when watching videos it is quite annoying and it is not a desire thing to tolerate.
Hello. You can always try using wayland. With sway (Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3's features, plus a few extras) i completely forgot about screen tearing.
i really dont understand, what shall i do to use sway? what is that, i don't undertand and doc is pretty bad.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Solved] Weird screen flickering,tried everything and i need help!

#25 Post by None1975 »

Maese wrote: 2023-04-13 20:48 [
i really dont understand, what shall i do to use sway? what is that, i don't undertand and doc is pretty bad.
Hello. Well, you don't have to do anything. You can use what you want, or you can try what I suggested. Sway docs is good. Did you check this? The biggest plus of all this is that there is no screen tearing. If you want to try sway, you should install these programs:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install sway swayidle xdg-desktop-portal-wlr xwayland suckless-tools
Then

$ mkdir -p ~/.config/sway
$ cp /etc/sway/config ~/.config/sway/
$ nano ~/.config/sway/config
To start Sway, simply type

sway
in the Linux console.

More info here

Maese

#26 Post by Maese »

None1975 wrote: 2023-03-28 12:02
Maese wrote: 2023-03-28 03:46 same thing... any idea?
It may be related to kernel. Did you try to install the kernel from bullseye-backports?
I tried upgrading kernel, no changes...
CynicalDebian wrote: 2023-03-28 04:40
same thing... any idea?
I think you have confused a lot of people here by talking about 'tearing', how bad is it exactly? It sounds like from your posts it is very severe, which is why I think many of the strange xorg.conf fixes, GRUB cmdline options you set are unlikely to fix your issue.

I also don't think the issue is firmware related, theoretically Debian 11 should have good Comet Lake support, on Kernel 5.10. But it is worth backporting a newer kernel to see if there is a fix.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-Com ... -Linux-Add
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Comet-Lake-Linux-5.2

You should describe in more detail the nature of the tearing and flickering, is it only when watching Netflix? Does it only happen in a web browser? How severe is it? Go into more detail about your display configuration, (Laptop screen, or an External Screen, if so, what cable?), resolution, monitor etc...

See the section here on Intel
https://wiki.debian.org/GraphicsCard

Are you sure you are using Wayland or X11? It is unclear from your post(s). Neither when properly configured should have screen tearing issues, but Wayland is little bit overweight on purpose to try to make it not a problem.
Tearing is not that bad , but pretty annoying in the long term. Wayland or X11 are the same, both with the same behaviour. I tried with kernel 6.1 (as i said in this post) and noted no changes, so i came back to debian stable kernel. Tearing is just a few pixels (5% maybe?) around the screen and no all time, more frequent when changing from one window to another, more in browser than desktop apps and more in netflix than other webs, but present in every instance more or less.. and flickering is some times like very hardcore and then it stops, i noted that some times when i move the laptop screen (like rotating it) flickering starts and really hard.. but other times nothing.

None1975 wrote: 2023-04-14 11:48
Maese wrote: 2023-04-13 20:48 [
Hello. Well, you don't have to do anything. You can use what you want, or you can try what I suggested. Sway docs is good. Did you check this? The biggest plus of all this is that there is no screen tearing. If you want to try sway, you should install these programs:

sudo apt install sway swayidle xdg-desktop-portal-wlr xwayland suckless-tools
Then

$ mkdir -p ~/.config/sway
$ cp /etc/sway/config ~/.config/sway/
$ nano ~/.config/sway/config
To start Sway, simply type

sway
in the Linux console.

More info here
:twisted:

I tried this but i dont get it, it is just am empty desktop with no function at all.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#27 Post by None1975 »

Maese wrote: 2023-04-24 19:04 I tried this but i dont get it, it is just am empty desktop with no function at all.
Hello. I would be interested to know exactly what steps you took?

P.S.

By the way, Sway does not support display managers officially.

@ttila

#28 Post by @ttila »

Maese wrote: 2023-04-24 19:04
:twisted:

I tried this but i dont get it, it is just am empty desktop with no function at all.
Sway is a simple tiling WM, nothing else. You need to launch by keyboard your apps, without a DE is useless :lol: for most users.

CynicalDebian

#29 Post by CynicalDebian »

Maese wrote: 2023-04-24 19:04
Tearing is not that bad , but pretty annoying in the long term. Wayland or X11 are the same, both with the same behaviour. I tried with kernel 6.1 (as i said in this post) and noted no changes, so i came back to debian stable kernel. Tearing is just a few pixels (5% maybe?) around the screen and no all time, more frequent when changing from one window to another, more in browser than desktop apps and more in netflix than other webs, but present in every instance more or less.. and flickering is some times like very hardcore and then it stops, i noted that some times when i move the laptop screen (like rotating it) flickering starts and really hard.. but other times nothing.

This speaks to a more serious issue with your underlying graphics stack, rather than the traditional "screen tearing" we are all familiar with. So much of the advice about screen tearing you have received here is unlikely to fix your problem. I would guess driver issues, but since you said that 6.1 kernel did not fix your problem it is worrisome, and I am not really sure what I would do.

Have you checked the output of

#dmesg
and

#journalctl
For any errors? Feel free to post the output of

#dmesg | grep -i firmware
Be seeing you...

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

All Intel GPU's since 2016 (sixth generation) require non-free firmware to work correctly. Yours is no exception.

See if you have firmware-misc-nonfree installed:

apt policy firmware-misc-nonfree
and if not, install it, either by adding the repo, or just downloading and installing the deb from here (note that it lists the Comet Lake firmware in its description:

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/fi ... sc-nonfree

* Intel "Comet Lake" GuC firmware, version 33.0.0
   (i915/cml_guc_33.0.0.bin)
 * Intel "Comet Lake" GuC firmware, version 49.0.1
   (i915/cml_guc_49.0.1.bin)
 * Intel "Comet Lake" HuC firmware, version 4.0.0
   (i915/cml_huc_4.0.0.bin)
Even then, some applications like Firefox or video players may show glitches when scrolling or in action-packed video with the kernel's modesetting driver. If so, then try the "intel" driver instead with Tearfree.
MX Linux packager and developer

Maese

#31 Post by Maese »

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I noted that the screen noise is only happening when wifi is activated!! I don't know how is it related, but it is for sure, wifi off = 100% clean image.. Any IDEA?

peer

Re: [Software] Weird screen flickering,tried everything (WIFI RELATED)

#32 Post by peer »

No, I don know how this is related. But I would check the hardware connections.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#33 Post by None1975 »

Maese wrote: 2023-05-12 21:05 IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I noted that the screen noise is only happening when wifi is activated!! I don't know how is it related, but it is for sure, wifi off = 100% clean image.. Any IDEA?
Maybe problems with hardware? I would think, as user peer already advised, you should check hardware connections.

Maese

#34 Post by Maese »

Im sure it is something related with hardware, but i don't know how to face it, please some advice? I will try with an external wifi usb... but its not a solution.

Maese

#35 Post by Maese »

I have got a TP Link RTL8188 usd adapter and tearing is gone. RTL 8822 is built-in and appears to have some interference with the screen somehow...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#36 Post by None1975 »

Maese wrote: 2023-05-17 21:46 I have got a TP Link RTL8188 usd adapter and tearing is gone. RTL 8822 is built-in and appears to have some interference with the screen somehow...
Very nice!

stevepusser

#37 Post by stevepusser »

Is it only when that built-in Realtek wifi is actually sending and receiving data that it interferes with the video?

Have you checked to see if any other OS also has the issue on your machine?

If so, I would try to get it fixed under warranty, if at all possible.

Maese

#38 Post by Maese »

stevepusser wrote: 2023-05-20 18:52 Is it only when that built-in Realtek wifi is actually sending and receiving data that it interferes with the video?

Have you checked to see if any other OS also has the issue on your machine?

If so, I would try to get it fixed under warranty, if at all possible.
Yes it is only when wifi is connected, so i guess so. It came wit windows nd it didn't happnd.

Maese

#39 Post by Maese »

I have to say tearing is not 100% solved, with the usb wifi adapter there are still a few isolated moments where screen tears a little bit or sometimes viewing netflix it flickers for a sec or 2...

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

Can you get at the little internal wi-fi card relatively easily and try removing it?