Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] [SOLVED] Issue with update - missing package

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
ticojohn

[Testing - Bookworm] [SOLVED] Issue with update - missing package

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I just update Bookworm on one of my systems (amd64, xfce, lightdm) and have a couple things that appear to have gone wrong, but apparently not serious.

1. The new kernel installed okay but the linux-headers-6.1.0-7-amd64 package (I think I got that right) did not install.
2. I tried to launch the Synaptic Package Manager from the xfce menu and it would not accept my root password. It would however accept my user password. That is confusing as all heck.

After opening the package manager I was able to locate and install the linux-headers-6.1.0-7-amd64 package.
Not sure how to handle the issue with root authorization for the package manager. Just to be clear, when I open a terminal I can log in as root using su - and the root password.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the .deb package of latest version of my VPN. When I used gdebi to install it, gdebi also is not accepting my root password but works with my user password. Has Debian changed the password policy, or did something get messed up during the upgrade?
Last edited by ticojohn on 2023-03-31 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] Issue with update - missing package

#2 Post by CwF »

ticojohn wrote: 2023-03-31 00:23 Not sure how to handle the issue with root authorization for the package manager.
There's nothing to sort out. From the menu the command is synaptic-pkexec and needs the user password for root rights. You can use a pkla rule (or new bookworm way) to eliminate the need for a password. I've documented that in replies here a few times for xfce. Gdebi can also use pkexec with a rule.

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

CwF wrote: 2023-03-31 01:13
ticojohn wrote: 2023-03-31 00:23 Not sure how to handle the issue with root authorization for the package manager.
There's nothing to sort out. From the menu the command is synaptic-pkexec and needs the user password for root rights. You can use a pkla rule (or new bookworm way) to eliminate the need for a password. I've documented that in replies here a few times for xfce. Gdebi can also use pkexec with a rule.
Well, there was an issue. And it was of my own doing. For years, through ignorance, I never included my user in the sudoers group and I always had to use the root password to use the Synaptic Package Manager and gDebi. When I upgraded to Bookworm I decided to add sudo and as a result no longer needed the root password. At least that is what I THINK happened. In any case everything is working and I'll go away now, at least until I come up with something dumb again.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

ticojohn wrote: 2023-03-31 19:39 In any case everything is working...
The important part!

The subject of authority has too many solutions. They get conflated. Spelling out confusion is usually a good thing.

Less good perhaps is me confusing things; such as synaptic-pkexec doesn't require sudo!