Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] How to go about removing unwanted KDE desktop from LXQt install

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
maxyw

[Software] How to go about removing unwanted KDE desktop from LXQt install

#1 Post by maxyw »

I installed debian from the weekly installer about 2 weeks ago, because I wanted to start using debian on testing instead of stable. It was a netinst .iso and on the desktop selection I picked only LXQt with the intention of having it as a lightweight backup + set of desktop tools (like for a policykit manager and graphical network manager) and mostly wanting to just use standalone i3 almost all the time. Unfortunately, that install just also gives you KDE as a default for some reason, which I saw some people talking about on this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... de_plasma/
I really dislike having all the KDE apps clutter up my system and I'm not a fan of the desktop at all, it's just annoying and has more possibility to break things than do anything useful so I would rather I get rid of it. That being said, what would I go about removing in order to fully get it off my system? I still like having the few LXQt apps that are around but thats it. And I want to keep LXQt as a backup desktop in case I need it for anything, as well as obviously keeping all my config files and everything I actually use, but worst case scenario I wouldn't be opposed to just backing everything up and doing a more lightweight install. That is my last resort though and I would preferably just delete everything KDE/plasma related right now, especially since slow internet speeds means reinstalling is a massive multi-hour chore for me. (Also go easy this is my first debian forum post lol)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] How to go about removing unwanted KDE desktop from LXQt install

#2 Post by sunrat »

LXQt shares some libraries with KDE, but the installer task metapackage appears to install a number of extra packages.. If you want LXQt without the extra packages that come with the full metapackage, install from the netinstall and do not install any desktop, only standard system utilities. When you reboot you will be greeted with a console login from which you can install the minimal lxqt-core package and add whatever applications you want later.Compare the included packages:
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/lxqt-core
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/lxqt

For Bookworm it is currently recommended to use the Installer RC 1 release.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!