Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Radeon Graphics Userps Sound Card

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
G7KNA

[Solved] Radeon Graphics Userps Sound Card

#1 Post by G7KNA »

I've seen a couple of similar posts about this but they appear to have the opposite problem.

I have installed Debian Bullseye with the MATE desktop from the netinstall iso image on an Acer Aspire 8942G - 726G648n from 2009.

This laptop has a Radeon graphics card and I have added: xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu, xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

I attempted to play an audio file but found I had no audio. Checking the Sound Preferences the only sound device listed under hardware is the "Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]" which is shown as "Disabled" and "Off". The profile drop down only shows "Off"

The output of lspci | grep Audio is:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep Audio
0:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
The output of cat /proc/asound/cards is:

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xf8a00000 irq 33
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf8420000 irq 34
Finally, the output of cat /proc/asound/modules is:

cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
It appears that the Radeon drivers have identified the HDMI output, which the computer is equipped with and has assumed, erroneously, that sound wants to go to that out put. Being able to switch the audio output is perfectly reasonable but for some reason I cannot find a way to select the onboard Intel sound card for those times when there is no HDMI output available.

I'm conscious that the netinstall may not have brought in all of the ALSA and PULSE utilities but adding anything anyone thinks might be useful or assist with the solution isn't a problem.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Radeon Graphics Userps Sound Card

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
It seems that the primary Intel Chipset High Definition Audio is recognized and it is the primary sound card.

You can use the alsamixer command (from alsa-utils package) from a terminal to verify if outputs are enabled and their levels.

Please also verify if the pulseaudio package is installed with the following command:

LANG=C apt --names-only search pulseaudio  | grep installed
and if the pipewire is installed with the following command:

LANG=C apt --names-only search pipewire  | grep installed
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

G7KNA

#3 Post by G7KNA »

Thank you @Aki for your reply. I had been dabbling on and off with this problem since posting without much luck. Since I need this machine to have audio capability more than I need it to have all of the features of the Radeon graphics card and as the machine has only just been set-up I decided to reinstall and see what the base installation contained before I took the plunge and added the missing Radeon firmware. Without the Radeon firmware the display is operational, the sound is operational and all I see is an annoying but by no means terminal warning during the machine boot up.

So having restored the machine to its installed configuration without the Radeon firmware, which as before was a netinstall iso of Debian Bullseye, I have the following outputs:

This shows both sound cards being present and detected although the "Juniper" card continues to be "Disabled" and "Off". Nevertheless the internal Intel soundcard works fine with both a successful speaker test plus it has played back an audio file through Audacity. The Alsa Mixer can see both cards as shown in the graphics below:

During bootup there is a warning about missing AMD/ATI firmware as follows:

dmesg | grep firmware
[    2.818177] [drm:radeon_pci_probe [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware installed
[    2.818296] See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
[    6.104948] platform regulatory.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware regulatory.db
[    6.105309] platform regulatory.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware regulatory.db.p7s
As I said before although this is annoying it doesn't stop things working so if the choice is between full graphics functionality, which isn't critical but would be nice to have, and no sound, then I will forego full graphics functionality at least until we've done our British Science Week demonstration at a local school where this laptop will be the receiving side of a SSTV demonstration which absolutely needs functioning sound!

The same 'lspci ' and 'cat' results as were in the first post are also repeated:

lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Broadway PRO [Mobility Radeon HD 5850]

lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xf8a00000 irq 32
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf8420000 irq 33

cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
I hadn't come across the commands you suggested but have run these also with the following outputs:

LANG=C apt --names-only search pulseaudio  | grep installed

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

pulseaudio/stable,now 14.2-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth/stable,now 14.2-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pulseaudio-utils/stable,now 14.2-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

LANG=C apt --names-only search pipewire  | grep installed

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

libpipewire-0.3-0/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpipewire-0.3-modules/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pipewire/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pipewire-bin/stable,now 0.3.19-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
I'm not sure what you were expecting the output of these two new commands to show but if this information is helpful then please let me know what conclusions you are able to draw.

For now I am content that the system is working suitably for its immediate uses. I would like to install the Radeon firmware to get whatever additional performance can be gained from the elderly Mobility Radeon HD 5850, but only if the firmware can be added without conflicting with the Intel onboard sound card.

Thanks again for your time and your help.
Last edited by G7KNA on 2023-02-26 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

G7KNA

Re: Radeon Graphics Userps Sound Card [SOLVED]

#4 Post by G7KNA »

I think I have solved it!

So, update:
The machine has completed the tasks that depended more on Audio than Video and I have finally got back to looking at this.

The solution, appears, to be simpler than I could have imagined. Instead of all of the "xserver-xorg" nonsense that I found online and implemented which led to all of the problems, the Debian Wiki (yes, yes I know I should have looked there the first time) I just installed "firmware-amd-graphics" which contains the Radeon 5800 series files.

apt install firmware-amd-graphics
A reboot and there are no longer warnings about missing radeon firmware on bootup, the screen looks to be better and importantly the onboard audio card continues to be the default sound device.

Job done.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Thanks for updating the thread.
I'm happy you sorted it out.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org