Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] Installing Bkworm in Chromebook?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
pwzhangzz

[Hardware] Installing Bkworm in Chromebook?

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

Does anyone have any experience in dual booting Linux with ChromeOS in chromebooks? I am not talking about crouton chrooting but about bare metal bkworm installation including of course first booting from usb.

rodw

Re: [Hardware] Installing Bkworm in Chromebook?

#3 Post by rodw »

Chromebooks have Debian Bullseye built in. Maybe just use that until they upgrade. I use it a lot.

pwzhangzz

#4 Post by pwzhangzz »

Thanks! It's been a while since I tried any Chrome vm/container but I will give it a try again as things may have improved a bit. I am more interested in completely gutting the ChromeOS, or dual grub-booting with it. Basically I am thinking about using Chromebook hardware since it is "absolutely" (?) designed based on the Linux kernel. A typical Chromebook can last more than 10 hours. Can never do that in Windows-based Linux laptops.

rodw

#5 Post by rodw »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2023-07-21 22:32 Thanks! It's been a while since I tried any Chrome vm/container but I will give it a try again as things may have improved a bit. I am more interested in completely gutting the ChromeOS, or dual grub-booting with it. Basically I am thinking about using Chromebook hardware since it is "absolutely" (?) designed based on the Linux kernel. A typical Chromebook can last more than 10 hours. Can never do that in Windows-based Linux laptops.
I never install a desktop but that can be done. Graphical programs (Thunar, Geany etc) work for me. It is based on Wayland so some Xorg apps don't run, but there are some env flags you can set that usually fixes that. Graphical apps seem to get bundled into a group under the start menu.

And yes, I agree, my Chromebook is my most used device!

pwzhangzz

#6 Post by pwzhangzz »

robdw wrote: 2023-07-21 10:35 Chromebooks have Debian Bullseye built in. Maybe just use that until they upgrade. I use it a lot.
Since the chromebook I am currently running is a test machine, I have upgraded its Debian container from the "old-stable" (Bullseye) to "stable" (Bookworm). So far it seems to be working okay. :)

rodw

#7 Post by rodw »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2023-07-24 05:36
robdw wrote: 2023-07-21 10:35 Chromebooks have Debian Bullseye built in. Maybe just use that until they upgrade. I use it a lot.
Since the chromebook I am currently running is a test machine, I have upgraded its Debian container from the "old-stable" (Bullseye) to "stable" (Bookworm). So far it seems to be working okay. :)
Cool, did you just change your sources.list and do a dist-upgrade via apt?

All my PC's are pretty much disposable as everything important is in Google drive so I may give it a try.