Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Stuck on lightdm login screen and can not access the bash tty

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ChrisBen

[Software] Stuck on lightdm login screen and can not access the bash tty

#1 Post by ChrisBen »

Hi there,

I just installed Debian and lightdm through the main apt package manager and Bspwm from the Nix package manager. After I installed them, I enabled lightdm and restarted my computer, and i tried to log in, but it won't let me in. I saw the sessions in the top right, and it only says default xsession, but there is no bspwm. I've even tried booting through recovery mode to at least disable lightdm, but that didn't work as the root account was locked, so idk what to do next, and also idk what to do with bspwm not showing up as a session in lightdm... I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks
Chris.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: [Software] Stuck on lightdm login screen and can not access the bash tty

#2 Post by arochester »

Did you configure Bspwm before you tried to start it?
First thing: DO NOT START BSPWM. Copy the example configuration to your ~/.config folder and make sure bspwmrc is executable :

> cd ~/.config/ && mkdir -p bspwm sxhkd
> cp /usr/share/doc/bspwm/examples/bspwmrc ~/.config/bspwm/
> cp /usr/share/doc/bspwm/examples/sxhkdrc ~/.config/sxhkd/
> chmod u+x ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc
Notice that Bspwm uses two config files:

bspwmrc that start programs and defines your WM rules
sxhkdrc that handles keyboard shortcuts
So take the time to configure your settings before running your BSPWM session!
Source - https://medium.com/tech-notes-and-geek- ... 6a315f6903

Random_Troll

#3 Post by Random_Troll »

ChrisBen wrote: 2023-05-31 10:33Bspwm from the Nix package manager
Not sure if that will work through LightDM because Nix packages can usually only be run from the command line.

You could probably hack something together by adding a custom launch script to the x-session-manager alternatives list but why bother, frankly. Just use the Debian package.

To disable LightDM temporarily press "e" with Debian's menu entry highlighted in GRUB then add this to the end of the line that starts with "linux" and press <ctrl>+x (at the same time) to load the modified entry:

Code: Select all

systemd.unit=multi-user.target
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

ChrisBen

#4 Post by ChrisBen »

Hi there, Thanks for all your replies, I did not configure bspwm btw I just wanted to check if it shows working in lightdm which should work out of the box and thanks for telling me how to temporarily disable lightdm ill do that and update y'all on the situation

ChrisBen

#5 Post by ChrisBen »

I just tried adding that systemd line to my boot commands in grub but it says my root account is disabled and I keep booting in lightdm.

Random_Troll

#6 Post by Random_Troll »

If you had added my line correctly then the system should boot to a console login screen. It won't ask for the root password unless you try to log in as root so log in as your normal user instead. If you don't see a console login screen then you must have entered the parameter incorrectly. I know it works because I've given that exact instruction to *many* OPs such as yourself and it worked for them.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

ChrisBen

#7 Post by ChrisBen »

I just tried it again and it works :) thanks for the help