Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Transition from DE to WM

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
marcusdavanco

[Solved] Transition from DE to WM

#1 Post by marcusdavanco »

Hello,

It's been about 4 months since I started using Debian, and I've already got it adapted to the workflow I used previously on Mint. Still, as I began to use the terminal more frequently I'd like to go one step further and replace my Desktop Environment with a Window Manager (specifically i3 as it is the only one I've tried before). Searching through the internet I've found some references on the installation but got a little confused if It would be possible to do so without having to reinstall my system. That being said I'd like to know if:

1 - Considering that I already have relevant data and configuration files that would be too much cumbersome to restore in case I had to reinstall the system, is It possible to make such a transition?
2 - Is there any comprehensive guide out there that you guys could recommend?
3 - In case there isn't I'll probably be creating one, but I'll need references to not screw up my installation.

In case you guys need more information, regarding my system please let me know and I'll provide it.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by marcusdavanco on 2023-07-21 23:26, edited 3 times in total.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Software] Transition from DE to WM

#2 Post by cds60601 »

Short answer:
No need to reinstall unless you want an absolutely clean system that is dedicated to the WM.
Simply install the I3 meta package. Most likely on next boot assuming you are using something like, GDM, SDDM, or LightDM as a login manager, you will have the options to use either the DE or WM.
There isn't a package in the repo to install I3-Gaps, just I3. There are sites out there that shows you how to install I3-Gaps but I would recommend using the I3 for starters. After you are comfortable using I3, then venture on turning into Gaps.
The configs you work with with I3 will be fine for Gaps.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

marcusdavanco

#3 Post by marcusdavanco »

Cool, I was about to update my post to ask If I could have both until I get used to i3...
I'm currently using LightDM, simply installing i3 will trigger some kind of menu to choose what to use, or does it require any changes in configuration?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

Yes - at the upper right corner of the initial login of LD there is an icon that may look like a piece of paper, (I don't recall what it is or if you have a modded version of LD) that should give you the option or at least at the area where you input you user ID.
Again, I don't recall what the default LD looks like, but its there, just need to look for it.

marcusdavanco

Re: [Solved] Transition from DE to WM

#5 Post by marcusdavanco »

Everything is working great so far, and I'm alternating between i3 and Cinnamon depending on my needs, but I'm facing this annoying problem, that my browser loses its sessions every time I switch, any recommendations on how to prevent that from happening?

CynicalDebian

Re: [Solved] [Further Question] Transition from DE to WM

#6 Post by CynicalDebian »

cds60601 wrote:install I3-Gaps but I would recommend using the I3 for starters. After you are comfortable using I3, then venture on turning into Gaps.
i3 and i3-gaps merged upstream, the version in bookworm has support for gaps ootb (Maybe you knew that since this is a bullseye-era post that has been necroed >.<)
marcusdavanco wrote:that my browser loses its sessions every time I switch, any recommendations on how to prevent that from happening?
Make a new post for your new specific problem and include relevant information like what browser you are using...
Be seeing you...

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Solved] [Further Question] Transition from DE to WM

#7 Post by cds60601 »

CynicalDebian wrote: 2023-07-21 23:20
cds60601 wrote:install I3-Gaps but I would recommend using the I3 for starters. After you are comfortable using I3, then venture on turning into Gaps.
i3 and i3-gaps merged upstream, the version in bookworm has support for gaps ootb (Maybe you knew that since this is a bullseye-era post that has been necroed >.<)
Back when I ran i3, it wasnt. I'm glad to see that its now a thing. I might be more likely to install i3 again now knowing its merged. Not that is was difficult do, it nice to see that it's in 4.22 now.