Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] sources.list once bullseye goes into LTS

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
epp

[Software] sources.list once bullseye goes into LTS

#1 Post by epp »

I installed SpiralLinux which installs the current Debian stable at the time the image was released (in this case, Bullseye) and it also enables Debian Backports by default. It is currently using the backported 6.1 kernel.

Where Bullseye will be entering LTS once Bookworm is released later this week, do I need to change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list to keep it updated? (I already have Bookworm installed to an external SSD and Sid installed to an internal HDD.)

Thank you.

Random_Troll

Re: [Software] sources.list once bullseye goes into LTS

#2 Post by Random_Troll »

epp wrote: 2023-06-05 19:19Where Bullseye will be entering LTS once Bookworm is released later this week, do I need to change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list to keep it updated?
Not if you were using pure Debian. I've never used SpiralLinux though so I don't know if they've made any changes that might affect things. Why not ask on their forums?
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Moved to off-topic sub-forum since it is not about Debian, but a Debian derivative.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

epp

#4 Post by epp »

Random_Troll wrote: 2023-06-05 19:26 Not if you were using pure Debian. I've never used SpiralLinux though so I don't know if they've made any changes that might affect things. Why not ask on their forums?
I have since done that. They do not have their own repo or packages. The repos are pure Debian.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
epp wrote: 2023-06-05 19:19 I installed SpiralLinux [..] Where Bullseye will be entering LTS once Bookworm is released later this week, do I need to change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list to keep it updated?
I don't know about the aforementioned derivative distribution, but if it tracks Bullseye by its release "codename", it will probably continue to track Bullseye repositories and probably no changes are needed.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

epp wrote: 2023-06-05 19:19
Where Bullseye will be entering LTS once Bookworm is released later this week, do I need to change anything in /etc/apt/sources.list to keep it updated? (I already have Bookworm installed to an external SSD and Sid installed to an internal HDD.)

Thank you.
Hello. Everything you asked about here is written in their official documentation. Please read this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

epp

#7 Post by epp »

None1975 wrote: 2023-06-06 11:24 Hello. Everything you asked about here is written in their official documentation. Please read this.
That information will be obsolete this weekend once Bookworm is released. However, I have not received a reply to my inquiry over at their project's GitHub Discussion, so I will leave the sources.list file as is and see what transpires after this weekend.

Thank you all for your replies above.

rahim123

#8 Post by rahim123 »

epp wrote: 2023-06-08 16:33
None1975 wrote: 2023-06-06 11:24 Hello. Everything you asked about here is written in their official documentation. Please read this.
That information will be obsolete this weekend once Bookworm is released. However, I have not received a reply to my inquiry over at their project's GitHub Discussion, so I will leave the sources.list file as is and see what transpires after this weekend.
Hi there, SpiralLinux creator here. I'm not sure why you think that the cited documentation will become obsolete once Debian 12 is released. The SpiralLinux documentation is specifically written to address the exact situation that you're asking about:
https://github.com/SpiralLinux/SpiralLi ... le-release

epp

#9 Post by epp »

My apologies, if my question was misunderstood.

It currently tracks Bullseye. After bookworm is officially released, I want it to continue to track Bullseye, as it will be LTS at that point.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

rahim123 wrote: 2023-06-09 01:37 Hi there, SpiralLinux creator here
Thanks for visiting!
epp wrote: 2023-06-09 01:45 It currently tracks Bullseye. After bookworm is officially released, I want it to continue to track Bullseye, as it will be LTS at that point.
As Aki said most likely you'll be fine. If the spin is configuration and not a custom vanity distro commonly built on ubuntuized libraries then no issue. Upon upgrade it should be obvious, just take note of invalid actions. Synaptic can spell it out for you. You don't have to commit to changes.

epp

#11 Post by epp »

CwF wrote: 2023-06-09 02:04
As Aki said most likely you'll be fine. If the spin is configuration and not a custom vanity distro commonly built on ubuntuized libraries then no issue. Upon upgrade it should be obvious, just take note of invalid actions. Synaptic can spell it out for you. You don't have to commit to changes.
[/quote]

Thank you. I had Bookworm (as Testing) installed on a separate drive (from a Debian Bullseye image, then upgraded to Testing). Not sure what happened to it, but yesterday it decided not to boot. It went as far as "Welcome to GRUB!" and that's it. This is why I would like SpiralLinux to continue to track Bullseye.

rahim123

#12 Post by rahim123 »

CwF wrote: 2023-06-09 02:04If the spin is configuration and not a custom vanity distro commonly built on ubuntuized libraries then no issue.
Hi there CwF. Yep, SpiralLinux is built directly from unmodified Debian packages with live-build and includes only official Debian repos by default.
epp wrote: 2023-06-09 02:12 This is why I would like SpiralLinux to continue to track Bullseye.
epp wrote: 2023-06-09 01:45 It currently tracks Bullseye. After bookworm is officially released, I want it to continue to track Bullseye, as it will be LTS at that point.
SpiralLinux will continue to track Bullseye unless you deliberately follow the wiki instructions to upgrade it. As the creator of the SpiralLinux images I have no control over what happens to your installed system, as all updates depend on your APT sources, which are all Debian official ones by default and only you can change them. SpiralLinux once installed will behave just like a vanilla Debian system installed from official Debian installation media, i.e. it will never automatically upgrade to a different major version, and in fact it won't have any automatic updates at all.