Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mscardano

[Software] Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490

#1 Post by mscardano »

Hi everyone,
I hesitated a lot before posting this, but I could not find a clue to solve my problem! This is the first time I am sharing a problem on a forum.
I have a Dell Latitude 7490 (Intel Core i7-8650U) with Debian Bullseye and a Linux kernel 5.19.15-xanmod1. Since a year or so, my computer has been experiencing random crashes with no apparent reason. The mouse or the keyboard stop working, the screen freezes, and if I have an audio playing prior to the crash, the last 2 seconds keep looping. The only solution then is to hard-reboot.

Sometimes this happens when I scroll on Facebook or just watch a movie. Other times when I leave the computer and it locks the screen.

I have run memory tests on my computer, it could not find an error. I checked the outputs of /var/log/kern.log and journalctl, I could not find a lead to the reason behind the crashes.
For info, I am using KDE/Plasma 5.20.5, Qt : 5.15.2, Cadriciel KDE : 5.78.0, kf5-config : 1.0. I have also the latest version of intel-microcode.

Do you have any clues?
Thank you in advance,
mscardano
Last edited by mscardano on 2023-06-06 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: [Software] my Debian Bullseye random and complete freeze

#2 Post by lindi »

Does this issue occur if you use a kernel that is part of Debian 11?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Have you installed not native Debian packages in your system ?

Why are you using a not Debian kernel ?

You can find some tips here to assess the situation: viewtopic.php?p=771252#p771252

It would help try to detect some clues in system logs (I know, you already tried, but perhaps you could try to login remotely or to access to a virtual console o to shutdown using REISUB sequence to collect useful messages in system logs).
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

mscardano

#4 Post by mscardano »

Hi,
thank you for your responses.
I have checked for Debian 11's kernels, it says 5.10 series. Actually, the problem started occurring prior to the use of my actual Linux kernel version. I upgraded the kernel to 5.19 to see if it would solve the problem. Apparently it did not.

@Aki: Is there a way to automatically distinguish between native and non native Debian packages? I have checked the installed ones, I surely have non native Debian packages installed in my system.

I am gonna try the REISUB solution next time when this happens (it will surely happen again this week...)

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

This looks to me like an hardware problem. A cold solder connection in a power supply or video card can be terribly frustrating. So can dried up CPU adhesive. Have you blown the dust out of your computer? Make sure the fans work smoothly.

Disconnect and re-seat all connections, including memory sticks.

Search the Internet for issues with your mother board and video card.

mscardano

#6 Post by mscardano »

Dear all,
I kept looking for software solutions while waiting for Debian 12 to be released (after which, if the problem persists, I would change my PC).
So I think I found a way that works since last Friday. Something has to do with the PSR (Panel Self Refresh, see this topic (sorry, it's in French): https://forums.archlinux.fr/viewtopic.php?t=21852). What I did in a first time was to add the following config file to /etc/modprobe.d/ to disable the PSR:

Code: Select all

sudo echo "options i915 enable_psr=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
This seemed to work for a while. I believe that this is the thing that should be done, since when I removed the file from /etc/modprobe.d/, the problems came back (complete freeze once an external USB-A/B hard drive is mounted, or when the computer goes to screensaver, or when doing very trivial tasks on the laptop, like writing on a LibreOffice doc).

Somewhat, this does not fully disable the PSR. I did a last test by trying to copy large files from an external hard drive to my computer, which caused the computer to crash again.

So, I added the following line to /etc/default/grub (see: https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Ge ... 592#M17301):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_psr=0"
and I tried again to mount the external hard drive, copy files, etc. Everything works now like a charm!

I would be grateful if someone could provide an explanation to this problem.
Thanks

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Thanks for updating the thread.
Have you collect any specific kernel error message from system logs ?
I suggest to update the title of the subject of the first post from:
Bullseye random and complete freeze
to:
Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Random_Troll

#8 Post by Random_Troll »

mscardano wrote: 2023-06-05 08:44What I did in a first time was to add the following config file to /etc/modprobe.d/ to disable the PSR:

sudo echo "options i915 enable_psr=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
That won't work if run as a normal user. The elevated privileges conferred by sudo do not apply after the redirection (">>").

Use a herestring instead:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf >/dev/null <<<"options i915 enable_psr=0"
And remember to rebuild the initramfs afterwards:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
mscardano wrote: 2023-06-05 08:44this does not fully disable the PSR
Did you regenerate the initramfs? Adding a kernel command line parameter from the bootloader will affect the initramfs but files under /etc/modprobe.d/ only work after the initramfs has been regenerated.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

mscardano

#9 Post by mscardano »

Aki wrote: 2023-06-05 17:41 Have you collect any specific kernel error message from system logs ?
I suggest to update the title of the subject of the first post from:
Bullseye random and complete freeze
to:
Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490
I could not collect any specific kernel errors messages from system logs. I was just curious about some errors from the dmesg, where I found something related to i915.
I have changed the title of the first post.

mscardano

#10 Post by mscardano »

Random_Troll wrote: 2023-06-05 18:11 That won't work if run as a normal user. The elevated privileges conferred by sudo do not apply after the redirection (">>").
Use a herestring instead:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf >/dev/null <<<"options i915 enable_psr=0"
And remember to rebuild the initramfs afterwards:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
mscardano wrote: 2023-06-05 08:44this does not fully disable the PSR
Did you regenerate the initramfs? Adding a kernel command line parameter from the bootloader will affect the initramfs but files under /etc/modprobe.d/ only work after the initramfs has been regenerated.
Thank you for these clarifications. I actually added the file by going through root privileges (su -i). But I did not generate the initramfs, which may explain why the PSR was not fully disabled.

kolAflash

#11 Post by kolAflash »

mscardano wrote: 2023-06-05 08:44 [...]
So, I added the following line to /etc/default/grub (see: https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Ge ... 592#M17301):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_psr=0"
and I tried again to mount the external hard drive, copy files, etc. Everything works now like a charm!
[...]
i915.enable_psr=0 also helped on my Dell Latitude 7490. So I created a bugreport for the i915 Linux kernel driver.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9291
Last edited by kolAflash on 2023-09-10 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

piperdan

Re: [Software] Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490

#12 Post by piperdan »

How is the temperature when its under load, such as watching a movie?

acpi -V

sarge

Re: [Software] Debian Bullseye: random and complete freeze with Dell Latitude 7490

#13 Post by sarge »

I've had the same issue, and had to add i915.enable_psr=0 to my kernel command line to get it to boot properly. I've also found I needed to add acpi_osi='Windows 2018' to stop the machine from crashing each time the screen locks, although I still don't think this has solved the issue completely (it seemed to still crash occasionally with a mouse connected).

mscardano

#14 Post by mscardano »

sarge wrote: 2023-09-10 14:33 I've had the same issue, and had to add i915.enable_psr=0 to my kernel command line to get it to boot properly. I've also found I needed to add acpi_osi='Windows 2018' to stop the machine from crashing each time the screen locks, although I still don't think this has solved the issue completely (it seemed to still crash occasionally with a mouse connected).
Hi, I have the same lockscreen problem on my Dell computer with both Debian 11 and 12. When my computer goes to lockscreen, it freezes completely, and only a hard boot can solve the problem. Can you please detail how you added acpi_osi='Windows 2018'? (to which file for example?)
thanks

sarge

#15 Post by sarge »

Since that post I've done some more experimenting, and had more crashes with that setup. The acpi_osi option helped a bit but in the end it didn't solve the issue completely.

What has solved the crashes completely though is the following combination: i915.enable_psr=0 i915.enable_dc=0.

I ran sudo nano /etc/default/grub and changed the line that begins with GRUB_CMDLINE_DEFAULT_LINUX=. The whole line now reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.enable_psr=0 i915.enable_dc=0"
Then I saved the file and ran the sudo update-grub command. I've been running with these options for over a month and not had any issues since.