Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does anyone know which DE the ISS laptops use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
MiracleDinner

Does anyone know which DE the ISS laptops use?

#1 Post by MiracleDinner »

I've heard that the laptops used by astronauts on the International Space Station run Debian, but do we know which Desktop Environment they use?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Does anyone know which DE the ISS laptops use?

#2 Post by None1975 »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-08-01 19:31 but do we know which Desktop Environment they use?
They don't use DE....and Xorg.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

The ISS moved from Windows to Debian 6, ten years ago. Things change over time. There are refences to Windows, IOS, Android and Linux being onboard.

This 2021 Tweet suggests they are using "an ISS specific Linux". https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/139251 ... 76?lang=en

MiracleDinner

#4 Post by MiracleDinner »

None1975 wrote: 2023-08-02 11:41
MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-08-01 19:31 but do we know which Desktop Environment they use?
They don't use DE....and Xorg.
What do you mean? Are you saying they just use a window manager? Or just the terminal? Do you have any confirmation?

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Both the PCS and Russian Laptop use their own graphical interfaces that depict the ISS and the crew click on the module they wish to interact with and the system, and then the specific piece of hardware.
https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-lapt ... SS-and-why

This post was brought to you by startpage.com :mrgreen:
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-08-02 14:09 What do you mean? Are you saying they just use a window manager? Or just the terminal? Do you have any confirmation?
I mean they uses the console (just terminal). Besides, I think it depends on the tasks set for the astronauts. It's quite possible that for tasks that require a graphical shell, they use Xorg, along with a lightweight window manager. But this is just my guess. Also, you can check this and this.

It is important to understand that in missions where 100 percent stability is required, no one will choose DE, because the more components, the more packages. And that means a lot of problems can arise.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github