Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buster to Bullseye to Bookworm :)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Northpoint

Buster to Bullseye to Bookworm :)

#1 Post by Northpoint »

Hello Everyone,

I have a server that I run VB on with two VM's. One is for production and the other is a test bed I use for Nextcloud because I have client servers running Nextcloud. I always like to test configurations and upgrades before performing it on production servers. They were all running Debian 10 Buster. So, EOL is coming and its more than time to get these things upgraded. So I spent a lot of time looking things over and performed the upgrades on my test Nextcloud VM.

First thing I did was clone the test Nextcloud VM and worked on that.

The upgrade from Buster to Bullseye went just fair. I made a mistake and did not keep my redis.conf file when it asked. So, Not a real problem there as I just copied it over from the original vm. However, The Mate desktop did not do so well. It did come up on first boot. Took a lot longer though. It was missing some packages I think. The window maker was of the wrong resolution (best I can put it) and the settings under preferences in the menus would not display. I fixed it by reinstalling Mate and the Mate Addons. Next issue I ran into were held back packages. I did get around that by choosing to install them and then did another upgrade with apt. Since I run my home directory (location of all my VMs) on two mirrored 4tb mechanical drives things took a long time to upgrade. Yes, I know I should go SSD but I have what I have for now. :)

Libreoffice was borked. lol.. I could not even get it to start really. I think the problem was it depends on python2 or 3 and when I ran another 'apt update && apt upgrade' it showed python 2/3. So, That fixed that.

One other problem I ran into is - php7.4 got upgraded to php8.2 and Apache2 and Nextcloud didnt like that. The problem actually was Apache2 was trying to use both. In other words, Both versions got enabled. So, I disabled php8.2 and restarted apache2 and "TA-DA!" everything works.

The upgrade from bullseye to bookworm went extremely well. I didnt even forget to keep my redis.conf file :) In fact, I think there is a bit more of a warning for that and perhaps thats why I caught it. On first boot its fast, Everything works and Nextcloud runs fine. I am really impressed with debian. I have been using it since Buster came out. I was just pretty scared to attempt 'in place upgrades' as they always seem to not work out well.

I really want to thank all the Dev's at Debian for such a great O/S. Most any problem I have ever had I have pretty much generated myself. Of course, At times I do ask a question or two here in the forums and I have to admit I have issues wording things I guess. So, I want to thank those here that have steered me in the right direction and helped me understand things better.
Get your linux on.

The_Homer_Simpson

Re: Buster to Bullseye to Bookworm :)

#2 Post by The_Homer_Simpson »

I am only on my second iteration of Debian and perhaps only used 11 for around 4 months or so before getting on the 12 tracks.

I must say I have taken to Debian very well. So well in fact my main system has remained on a debian build for well over a year! And I have previously distro hopped a lot! I have been extremely impressed with 12 and its nice to see others having a good time with it too.

Echoing your thanks to the devs and to others in this community ( I have only just discovered these forums 15 mins ago).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Northpoint wrote: 2023-08-14 21:06 The upgrade from bullseye to bookworm went extremely well.
For sure this last transition has been the smoothest yet.
The_Homer_Simpson wrote: 2023-08-15 14:08 I must say I have taken to Debian very well.
You are going to have a good time! Welcome to the forum.

Northpoint

#4 Post by Northpoint »

The_Homer_Simpson wrote: 2023-08-15 14:08 I am only on my second iteration of Debian and perhaps only used 11 for around 4 months or so before getting on the 12 tracks.

I must say I have taken to Debian very well. So well in fact my main system has remained on a debian build for well over a year! And I have previously distro hopped a lot! I have been extremely impressed with 12 and its nice to see others having a good time with it too.

Echoing your thanks to the devs and to others in this community ( I have only just discovered these forums 15 mins ago).
Welcome to the forums :)

I just finished up an upgrade on my other VM that handles my invoice-ninja, postfix relay on my server. This went quicker however, I have these two mechanical drives in a mirrored set for my home directories. I really have to move my home directory off of them. I do have a PCIe card that can handle two NVme drives but its not in the server yet. I will have to check out some pricing for some large NVMe drives. The only slowness in my setup is just updates and upgrades. Normal running is fine so I find it a bit difficult to justify the cost of that upgrade.
Get your linux on.

The_Homer_Simpson

#5 Post by The_Homer_Simpson »

CwF wrote: 2023-08-15 14:49
Northpoint wrote: 2023-08-14 21:06 The upgrade from bullseye to bookworm went extremely well.
For sure this last transition has been the smoothest yet.
The_Homer_Simpson wrote: 2023-08-15 14:08 I must say I have taken to Debian very well.
You are going to have a good time! Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, its just so flexible.

The_Homer_Simpson

#6 Post by The_Homer_Simpson »

Northpoint wrote: 2023-08-15 16:25
The_Homer_Simpson wrote: 2023-08-15 14:08 I am only on my second iteration of Debian and perhaps only used 11 for around 4 months or so before getting on the 12 tracks.

Welcome to the forums :)

I just finished up an upgrade on my other VM that handles my invoice-ninja, postfix relay on my server. This went quicker however, I have these two mechanical drives in a mirrored set for my home directories. I really have to move my home directory off of them. I do have a PCIe card that can handle two NVme drives but its not in the server yet. I will have to check out some pricing for some large NVMe drives. The only slowness in my setup is just updates and upgrades. Normal running is fine so I find it a bit difficult to justify the cost of that upgrade.
Thank you. I do find that the older mechanical disks are fairly robust albeit slow. I recall the early iterations of SSDs were not all that reliable.

I love how you can put Linux onto so many differing systems, theres just so many options which is why Linux is so favourable over Microshaft :)

Northpoint

#7 Post by Northpoint »

Thank you. I do find that the older mechanical disks are fairly robust albeit slow. I recall the early iterations of SSDs were not all that reliable.
The only thing that bothers me on SSD's is that when they die there is no recovery. On mechanical drives you have a chance as they slowly start to have problems. You have a fighting chance to recover data. Thats quite a trade off for speed.
I love how you can put Linux onto so many differing systems, theres just so many options which is why Linux is so favourable over Microshaft :)
Also, The cost of just running a MS server is outrageous. Then your limited in the resources that it can handle depending on the license. If you get past that then if you have a problem (and you will) its 'mouse click hell' to try and find and fix settings. lol.. I have a client that got mad at their last I.T. Support and fired them. They didnt find anyone to service their MS server for about two years. The O/S just kinda degraded like a rotten apple. By the time they brought me in I just replaced their whole server with linux.

There is just so much you can do with linux and using debian means its going to be rock stable. As long as your hardware is not faulty its going to perform extremely well.
Get your linux on.