Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can GNU/Linux damage NTFS partition?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
alienspy

Can GNU/Linux damage NTFS partition?

#1 Post by alienspy »

Hello! I often notice that if i use NTFS flash/pen drive in Windows after using it in Linux, Windows asks for disk repair. Recently NTFS flash drive just stopped working in Linux, though it works on Windows. Same goes for internal drives. After mounting them on Linux, Windows often sees errors. Mostly it doesn't lead to data loss, but there was one case when external NTFS HDD was corrupted after i used it on Linux, but i am not sure that it is connected.

Is it safe to use NTFS disks on Linux? Unfortunately there are some cases when i have to. Is FAT32 more reliable*?

* - yes, i know it supports files only up to 4gb.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can GNU/Linux damage NTFS partition?

#2 Post by sunrat »

I've seen that happen. Doesn't seem to matter if I say yes or no to repair, it still works. Never had one corrupted that I can remember. Maybe Linux puts a .Trash directory on it if you delete a file and Windows doesn't recognise it?
One thing to be aware of if you share a drive with Windows is to disable Fast Startup in Windows as it can leave the disk in a hybrid suspend state on shutdown rather than fully unmounting it; Fast Startup is useless anyway.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

alienspy

#3 Post by alienspy »

sunrat wrote: 2023-08-31 13:21 Maybe Linux puts a .Trash directory on it if you delete a file and Windows doesn't recognise it?
Hm. i will look into it.
One thing to be aware of if you share a drive with Windows is to disable Fast Startup in Windows as it can leave the disk in a hybrid suspend state on shutdown rather than fully unmounting it; Fast Startup is useless anyway.
It is disabled.

Now i try to use FAT32

SerW
XMMP/Jabber: SerW@jabber.org

#4 Post by SerW »

I recommend you to use exFAT file system on all external drives.

Jamison

#5 Post by Jamison »

I've kind of always thought this was just Windows trying to discourage or yelling at us for using Linux? :lol:

I recall third-party programs for Windows where we can see Linux files, if you'd want to use for example ext4 on the USB.