Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] How to disable non-free-firmware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode

Need help with peripherals or devices?
amin11

[Solved] How to disable non-free-firmware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode

#1 Post by amin11 »

How to disable non-free-frimware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode?

Why isn't installing Debian asking for permission to install non-free-firmware? (in normal mode)
Last edited by amin11 on 2023-11-02 09:33, edited 2 times in total.

arzgi

Re: How to disable non-free-frimware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode

#2 Post by arzgi »

I have used only expert mode for a long time, it asks about non-free. But you can do it after installing as well.

amin11

Re: How to disable non-free-frimware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode

#3 Post by amin11 »

arzgi wrote: 2023-10-31 14:09 I have used only expert mode for a long time, it asks about non-free. But you can do it after installing as well.
No.
I don't want to do this after the installation. (In graphic normal mode)
Last edited by amin11 on 2023-10-31 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

Then you probably have to use expert mode, it the normal installer does not have that option.

amin11

#5 Post by amin11 »

arzgi wrote: 2023-10-31 14:36 Then you probably have to use expert mode, it the normal installer does not have that option.
Why don't Debian developers add this to normal mode?

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

I can speak only from myself, I am not a dev. Been here a few years, and do not remember anyone has asked that before. Perhaps that is the reason, and the third time, you can always select expert install.

dlu2021

#7 Post by dlu2021 »

non-free-firmware is something new that was added for Bookworm. From what I understand it only installs the firmware that your particular hardware actually needs.

It looks like you can disable by adding firmware=never to the installer boot parameter:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#How_to ... e_firmware

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by Aki »

Hello,
dlu2021 wrote: 2023-10-31 16:30 It looks like you can disable by adding firmware=never to the installer boot parameter:
Yes, for Debian Bookworm installer (as @dlu2021 pointed out in previous post). It was discussed in this previous topic:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jmgibson1981

#9 Post by jmgibson1981 »

It's default in the normal installer because the typical user that would use the normal installer wouldn't likely know the difference or care much. Anyone who is actually worried about it would go straight to the expert installer. If they are that much into avoiding non free they won't take the chance on whether or not the default method would work.

They can't make it fit for every single use case or expectation. That isn't realistic.

While I prefer open where possible I cannot fathom why people willingly gimp their hardware over a philosophical choice.

amin11

#10 Post by amin11 »

dlu2021 wrote: 2023-10-31 16:30 non-free-firmware is something new that was added for Bookworm. From what I understand it only installs the firmware that your particular hardware actually needs.

It looks like you can disable by adding firmware=never to the installer boot parameter:

Does this affect the identification and installation of free firmwares?

If that's okay with free firmwares, please tell me the steps to do it step by step.

It's default in the normal installer because the typical user that would use the normal installer wouldn't likely know the difference or care much. Anyone who is actually worried about it would go straight to the expert installer. If they are that much into avoiding non free they won't take the chance on whether or not the default method would work.
This question has been asked on Ubuntu Installer for years.
Well، this difference is easily explained by a text. I think this option should be in a normal position as well.
Last edited by amin11 on 2023-10-31 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

dlu2021

#11 Post by dlu2021 »

amin11 wrote: 2023-10-31 16:57
dlu2021 wrote: 2023-10-31 16:30 non-free-firmware is something new that was added for Bookworm. From what I understand it only installs the firmware that your particular hardware actually needs.

Does this affect the identification and installation of free firmwares?

If that's okay with free firmwares, please tell me the steps to do it step by step.
The wiki indicates that it only affects non-free-firmware, so my guess would be that it doesn't affect the free firmware.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to disable non-free-firmware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode

#12 Post by Aki »

amin11 wrote: 2023-10-31 16:57 If that's okay with free firmwares, please tell me the steps to do it step by step.
See here: note: edited the subject of the first post from "How to disable non-free-frimware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode" to "How to disable non-free-firmware installation while installing Debian in normal installation mode"
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀