Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HowTo] Solve transparency issue in XFCE4-panel - window buttons

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

[HowTo] Solve transparency issue in XFCE4-panel - window buttons

#1 Post by fabien »

Problem:
After upgrading from XFCE4 4.16 (Bullseye) to 4.18 (Bookworm), you may experience a loss of transparency issue if your window buttons use transparency.

How to reproduce the issue:
Open two terminals, each on a different desktop. On one of the terminals, perform an action (yes, it's strange, you need this to reproduce the problem), for example

Code: Select all

$> less /etc/fstab
then quit less (q) and change desktop: the terminal button has lost its transparency.
xfce4-transparency-issue.png
The base theme I use is Greybird-dark, see /usr/share/themes/Greybird-dark/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css but I already had to solve this problem with the default theme Adwaita.

Proposed solution to resolve the problem:
create the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css with your favorite editor, for example

$> vi ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
paste this code:

.tasklist .toggle {
   transition-duration: 500ms;
   transition: all 500ms cubic-bezier(0.25, 0.46, 0.45, 0.94);
   background-color: transparent;
   background-image: none;
}
.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:checked {
   background-image: linear-gradient(to top right, #000000 1%, #1e3a57 99%);
}
I added an optional transition effect. I wasn't able to reproduce the background of the active window exactly, but by tinkering I found this one to be quite good.

You can reload the configuration by running

$> xfce4-panel -r
There are many possibilities for customizing the XFCE4 interface, but that is not the focus of this topic.

Related links:
xfce4-panel - Panelbar Theming
GTK+ CSS Overview
GTK Supported CSS Properties

If you have encountered other problems with the XFCE4 interface, you can report your solution here.