Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Completed Migration to Debian 12

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
rhinjard

Re: Completed Migration to Debian 12

#21 Post by rhinjard »

Uptorn wrote: 2023-12-19 21:45
rhinjard wrote: 2023-12-19 13:53 2)becoming a hybrid of native Win32 apps and UWP apps,
This is just an intermediary phase in the depreciation of win32. Once the tooling is fully in place to drop win32 and once the public has been sufficiently softened to the concept, there is no doubt in my mind that they're going to drop it like a bad date and enforce the new, even more user-hating environment.

boars.gif
Yes, JavaScript, in any form, is the way forward, even in desktop based apps. That's the new normal I guess. Also, need to say goodbye to dedicated app installers and Windows Store (or any other alternative) will be the only place to get all the apps. Basically, a locked-down touch-oriented operating system disguised as a desktop OS. :lol:

rhinjard

#22 Post by rhinjard »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2023-12-20 05:35 gmusicbrowser

That is all
It seems a good one but I couldn't make it work. The package is unavailable in the repo, and the deb file from the original website can't be installed because of the unavailability of libgtk2-perl dependency in the Bookworm repo.

bink

#23 Post by bink »

rhinjard wrote: 2023-12-20 21:46 Try with Firefox ... you will see the subtle difference in the rendering.
I feel Firefox renders very well; 121 was just released and it defaults to Wayland by default.

rhinjard

#24 Post by rhinjard »

bin wrote: 2023-12-20 05:57 Softmaker FreeOffice doesn't do tables and other important stuff which it sounds like OP needs. The paid version is the better way to go and so far I have not found an MS Office doc that it won't load and work with.
Likewise Softmaker FlexiPDF is excellent for PDF editing. Again it's a paid for application. It does run tolerably well under WINE, but it sounds like a Windows VM may be the better option for the heavy lifting.
I have lifetime license of Office 2016 and subscription of Foxit PhantomPDF 12. I use a Win10 VM only for these two.

Now, that I was able to setup Intel GVT-G in my windows VM, I am thinking of using Photoshop as well instead of Gimp.

I don't mind mixing linux and windows apps. For me, OS is a tool to get my works done, where Linux is more efficient among the tools for my type of works and Debian is the best manufacturer of the said tool. :lol:

rhinjard

#25 Post by rhinjard »

bink wrote: 2023-12-20 21:59
rhinjard wrote: 2023-12-20 21:46 Try with Firefox ... you will see the subtle difference in the rendering.
I feel Firefox renders very well; 121 was just released and it defaults to Wayland by default.
Here is a test you can perform if you have access to a GTK based DE (not Gnome).

1. Browse StackOverflow in KDE Plasma. You will see some threads are well-renderd while some are blurry.
2. Do the same in any GTK-based DE (not Gnome, please, it defaults to grayscale whenever it gets any chance) and you will find all the threads are rendered nicely.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

rhinjard wrote: 2023-12-20 21:57
dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2023-12-20 05:35 gmusicbrowser

That is all
It seems a good one but I couldn't make it work. The package is unavailable in the repo, and the deb file from the original website can't be installed because of the unavailability of libgtk2-perl dependency in the Bookworm repo.
Yeah, it's looking a bit unloved, but there is a beta of the gtk3 version here: http://gmusicbrowser.org/devel.html
I'm probably going to have to give it up at some stage, but NOT YET!
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by sunrat »

There's no shortage of music player/managers in Debian repo - I like Cantata. Also there's Strawberry, QuodLibet, Elisa (for KDE) and more.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I don't care if there is a dozen steak and cheese pies in the warmer - I want the beef cheek, bacon and dark ale one!
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by sunrat »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2023-12-21 08:57 I don't care if there is a dozen steak and cheese pies in the warmer - I want the beef cheek, bacon and dark ale one!
I think your pie may have been in the warmer for three days, and the fresh ones aren't ready until tomorrow. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

friendlysalmon88

#30 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

Welcome to the Debian community and I hope you find all of the help an\d assistance that you need. Further more thees forums and the hundreds of other resources and tutorials that are available online are mostly aimed at Debian and its offspring.