Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Staying with Debian 11

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Staying with Debian 11

#21 Post by Fossy »

Considering Shiny New Stuff is not our business , the only thing I am watching closely is ;
Debian 11 : Supported by security as well as release teams To be defined: roughly July 2024 to June 2026
As long as this is in effect I see no reason to switch hastily to Bookworm .

Edit : please don't get me wrong, I'm not inherently anti-bookworm, it's just my personal pragmatic approach.

especially since I never switch to a new operating system until as long as Bosa Belgium has released the new eID packages : https://eid.belgium.be/nl/linux-eid-sof ... nstallatie

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

hogrbe
LinkedIN: hogrbe

#22 Post by hogrbe »

Interesting how user experiences can vary. I use Debian 10, both on server and desktop and recently installed Debian 12 on a new desktop, skipping Debian 11 entirely for some reason.

bester69

#23 Post by bester69 »

I will stay with Debian 11, i think we should upgrade only when 2 cycles debian... i will upgrade to Debian 13 in three or four years
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#24 Post by bester69 »

kent_dorfman766 wrote: 2023-05-15 21:56 Agreed. updating for the sake of upgrading is bad juju.

I have a whole list of reasons why newer is not necessarily better.

I'm gonna hold onto 11 for as long as I can. Am gonna stretch it till at least 2026...longer if I can get away with it.
I agree, well done :roll:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sdibaja

#25 Post by sdibaja »

Now that Debian 12 has been in use by the vast majority for ages, with little or no glitches, I see no compelling reason to avoid upgrading.
In my little world: none of my "consumers" have made any complaints.
A couple have expressed happiness with the newer features with the Mate desktop.

I have been pretty busy, so the lone D10 machine (wife's laptop) is still on my ToDo list.
however I have decided to do a fresh clean install rather than upgrading it. I have no desire to have a complainant over any lingering cruft.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

sdibaja wrote: 2023-08-22 13:34 Now that Debian 12 has been in use by the vast majority for ages, with little or no glitches, I see no compelling reason to avoid upgrading.
I generally agree. I've seen only improvement with 11>12 upgrades with no gotcha's. The same can't be said for earlier upgrades.
I still use a stretch 24/7/365 that will be replaced with a bookworm that is built. I did not qualify the replacement with 10 or 11 but 12 looks good. The 9 will simply be turned off someday.
I still have a buster in use that was the stretch replacement but is much more hacky and crufted up, it also will simply be turned off. 2 others have been 12 for over a year and 3 more went to 12 at release. When I'm down to 5 golden base images based on 12, 2 will move to trixie for which I have no expectation. The 3 12's will then be it until past 2028 I expect.

Note that I've avoided usrmerge in my 12's with no issue so far and that is the ONE gotcha. I do have 11.7's to fall back on to re-upgrade after I determine trixie's issues with usrmerge. I typed out at least a year ago I expect 12 to be it.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#27 Post by NFT5 »

I moved my desktop to 12 after Syncthing would no longer work in the 11 edition. At the same time I moved two notebooks to Debian 12 and they've been rock solid but the desktop has issues. File server, media server and a couple of other desktops are still solid on 11 and I see no point in moving those until I find the cause of the problems.

So, my experience, so far, has been mixed.

sdibaja

#28 Post by sdibaja »

Syncthing not working? Wow. That's strange.
I use syncthing on all of my systems..., D10, 11, 12, and Sid. Never had a problem with any of them.

pjmbraet

#29 Post by pjmbraet »

As long as it is supported:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldOldStable
I am (just for fun and completely offline) using Jessie. Downloaded all dvd ISO's.
Debian 8 Jessie still has among other dead software system-config-lvm. Nostalgia.
Found a mistake in the wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/LVM
system-config-lvm is still mentioned there

friendlysalmon88

#30 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

After Distro hopping between Fedora,Manjaro,Antix anda slew of other distros, I came back to Debian as Debian was the first distribution that I started out on back in 2001 or 2002 which was in the time frame when you where required to use bw43-cutter in order to get a broadcom based WiFi or Ethernet card working.