Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Nemo and Nautilus on the same installation

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
flatroncom

[SOLVED] Nemo and Nautilus on the same installation

#1 Post by flatroncom »

[SOLVED] When I switched permanently to Debian for my desktop and laptop machines, I installed the Cinnamon desktop
as I was most familiar with it from a previous distribution which I abandoned. My single issue with Cinnamon,
is the file manager, namely 'Nemo'. It has a few regular quirks which I find annoying (but won't detail here, to
keep things to the point). Since my Debian installations also contain the Nautilus file manager, I am considering
switching to it, as I have used it on my Orange Pi 5 (which uses the XFCE desktop on Debian), and I like it very much (Nautilus).
But the rub is, I have read previously that using multiple file managers on the same desktop, can lead to problems
around file system corruption.
In my case I would simply stop using Nemo altogether, and start using Nautilus permanently, without ever
reverting back to Nemo.
So my 2 questions here are:
1) Is this a load of baloney (i.e. using 2 file managers on the same desktop can cause damage to the FS)?
2) When and if I do switch to Nautilus, would it be advisable to remove Nemo altogether withoug causing Cinnamon to complain?
I've already removed Midnight Commander as I don't find any use for it. My Debian distros are running on recent gen bare metal Intel
machines, except the OPi5, which of course uses an ARM chip.
I am presently running Debian ver 12.4 (workstation only, not server)
Thanks.
Last edited by flatroncom on 2023-12-30 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nemo and Nautilus on the same installation

#2 Post by sunrat »

1) sounds like baloney to me, especially if you don't use both at the same time. I have on occasion used Dolphin and DoubleCommander at the same time and they both reflect almost instantly any changes made in the other.
I don't use Nautilus or Nemo though, and also no GTK desktop environment, only KDE.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!