Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SID - Unstable] Bug reporting etiquette for out of date packages in unstable/experimental?

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
rollingraider

[SID - Unstable] Bug reporting etiquette for out of date packages in unstable/experimental?

#1 Post by rollingraider »

Hi there, new to Debian Sid coming from other rolling release distributions.

I read through the Debian Bug Reporting wiki (https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting) but didn't see this topic addressed. What's the etiquette in the project regarding reporting out of date packages in Sid (e.g.: gzip, gettext, less, make, gawk, etc.)? If the current version is not already in unstable or experimental on packages.debian.org, should /usr/bin/reportbug be used to notify the package maintainer or is there a more appropriate vehicle?

Thanks, RR

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [SID - Unstable] Bug reporting etiquette for out of date packages in unstable/experimental?

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Yes.
The bug report (to Debian) is against the version available in the repo.
It's then up to the maintainer to address, which may involve updating to a newer version, if that addresses the bug, or pushing the report upstream or maybe patching themself in some circumstances.

What you DON'T want to do is submit bug reports against an old version to the upstream devs (reference the Xscreensaver drama).
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [SID - Unstable] Bug reporting etiquette for out of date packages in unstable/experimental?

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

I think before filing a bug report it might be wise to check https://tracker.debian.org/package_name to see if there's a reason why the package hasn't been upgraded.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Ah, misread the OP, sorry.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...