Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Moving the old forward. init's and stuff

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Moving the old forward. init's and stuff

#1 Post by CwF »

I've come up with non-issue init question I not only don't know but also have no indication to even have a preference on.

After freshening up some vm base images I noticed a delay on startup that isn't always the image, could be the greater system, or what was that past issue with haveged? So off on a tangent we go...

I remember a generation or so back installing haveged (or rng-tools?) helped out. Maybe just wiggle the mouse! I'm wondering now if it is still needed? One very tight image is a i686 vm and it does not have haveged, or a logon manager, uses systemd with auto login, and is slow.

A fatter (dark fat) AMD64 competitor has it, and an autolog LightDM and starts up in half the time (~4 seconds). The i686 can logoff and on to refresh a session in a few seconds, it's just the first start that adds 3-4 seconds, for what?

So I start digging into start up time and reviewing my various examples. Sure systemd-analyze and blame gives me numbers, but I've learned benchmarks from within vm's lie. Their clock can literally pause, mine keeps going. I then get on to a few init differences...

My old reliable AMD64 is a Jessie now Bullseye and has haveged, but also sysv-rc, and startpar, and is consistently the fastest. As mentioned my 'newest' is the i686, a Stretch now Bullseye, has none of that. To refresh my memory I find removing sysv-rc insist on installing openrc. Sure seems fine, but the i686 has no openrc either.

So now my hole in knowledge = if sysv-rc replaces openrc, or openrc replaces sysv-rc, what replaces BOTH. I know a vague answer is 'systemd'. But I see no path to do that?

...after that, back to what's faster! So far, slimmer is slower.

Bulkley

Re: Moving the old forward. init's and stuff

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Have you tried Runit? I've looked at s6 and been thoroughly spooked. I have yet to read that anyone has made Debian boot with s6.

A few years back I ran Stretch with Openrc as my daily driver. Installing Openrc was as simple as apt-get install openrc and reboot. We can't do that as easily anymore although it looks to be better with Bullseye than buster. Back then systemd-shim helped make it all work. (MX has an updated systemd-shim but installing that pretty much ties one to the MX repository forever. One could install MX which is an excellent option.)

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-03-12 19:45 Have you tried Runit? I've looked at s6
Those are still on top of sysv-rc.
I have not identified what the i686 has that substitutes both sysv-rc and openrc, or the primary dependency insserv. Something buried in systemd. I suppose the startpar package is the AMD64's startup advantage..

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

CwF wrote: 2022-03-13 00:50
Bulkley wrote: 2022-03-12 19:45 Have you tried Runit? I've looked at s6
Those are still on top of sysv-rc.
A while back I built a Bullseye VM using runit with runit-init. I just ran up a VM of Antix-Bullseye-A2-runit_x64-full 11. It uses a long string of runit- stuff, some of which are in-house configs, but no sysv-rc.

Prowler_Gr

#5 Post by Prowler_Gr »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-03-12 19:45 I've looked at s6 and been thoroughly spooked. I have yet to read that anyone has made Debian boot with s6.
It's all changing

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic ... ost-130034
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 ... 82.en.html

trinidad

#6 Post by trinidad »

http://skarnet.org/software/s6/

Haven't tried it but it seems available for Devuan Daedalus so I may give it whirl this year. Concepts seem to make a lot of sense.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.