Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.7 Kernel & GNOME to 46

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
pwzhangzz

[SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.7 Kernel & GNOME to 46

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

As shown in the attached screenshot, Sid has moved to the 6.7.7 kernel; the version of GNOME is now upgraded to 46:
Screenshot from 2024-03-04 16-11-13.png
Last edited by pwzhangzz on 2024-03-04 08:15, edited 3 times in total.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.x Kernal

#2 Post by Aki »

Perhaps you meant the subject to be "[SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.6.x Kernal" instead of "[SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.x Kernal"
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pwzhangzz

Re: [SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.6 Kernal

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

Yesterday (or the day bf?) the Linux kernel in Sid moved to version 6.6.13. To me at the least, the dizzying version number changes actually indicate the incredible amounts of efforts that our hardworking Debian developers have been trying to so aggressively keep Sid a leading (but definitely not bleeding!) edge OS. Probably as a result thereof, the stable version of Debian, currently bkworm, can actually keep up very well with very recent hardware advancements.

Recently we bought a Ryzen 7 5700U (with Radeon Vega 8 GPU) mini-PC, as shown in the attached screenshot:

ryzen7.mini-pc.jpeg

we are so amazed with the performance of bkworm on this machine! (Sid also works great) Measuring 12.5 x 11 x 4 (cm), it is more powerful than my current bulky desktop machine that we purchased only less than 3 years ago. And costs only a fraction of it ($280 vs over $1K).

Our office is budgeted to upgrade two pcs this year. If this mini-pc continues to run well, with the money saved, I may be able to convince my boss to purchase a couple of extras and donate them to some of our forum elders to help bkworm/sid developments. In the past, the shipping cost is prohibitive for any hardware donation (especially for international shipping).

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [SID - Unstable] Sid Moves to the 6.6 Kernal

#4 Post by None1975 »

Sid has moved to the 6.6.8 kernal
By the way, this kernel series is longterm.....
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github