Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard layout resets to default (en) due to unknown cause

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Destructor

Keyboard layout resets to default (en) due to unknown cause

#1 Post by Destructor »

Hello community. I have been working with Linux since 2012. There was a problem with the keyboard. It was all like that.
The free space on the main disk became 0. After that, I started a folder scan program and then started to delete some folders from /home/user/.*, which in my opinion I no longer needed: kube (Kubernetes), dia, python3 .9. By previously removing programs via apt remove or other ways. Before uninstalling python3.9 I made sure there was a lower version of python.

then in the same session, I noticed that Screen Locker stopped working.
After the reboot, the desktop environment disappeared, and the authorization did not break. After authorization, I could only see the console in the background of the desktop, I launched the graphics program from the console and it was without a frame.

Then I did "apt install LXDE" and rebooted. When he came in, he noticed that:
1. on some Internet pages, English letters were displayed with some diacritical marks. The team solved the problem
"localectl set-locale ..."

2. when clicking with the mouse in the input field of Slack and Skype messenger, the keyboard layout changed to English by itself, I do not notice this in the browser or other desktop programs.

3. when sending text to Slack and Skype by pressing the Enter key, the keyboard layout also changed to English by itself. After pressing the Backspace key in Skype immediately, and in Slack when I delete the last character (so that the field is empty), the keyboard layout also changed to English by itself.

4. when starting fcitx, the cursor only moved in the mouse, the buttons did not work, and the keyboard - only typed in the program that was in focus. It is not possible to switch to other windows either with the mouse or Alt + Tab, even if in text mode (Ctrl+Alt+F*) I killed the fcitx process. Reboot only. So I removed fcitx.

I think the problem is solved with setxkbmap, but it is very difficult for me.

Here I have Debian11 + LXDE.

Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem without reinstalling the OS.
There is a working Debian12 + LXDE on the virtual Box and Debian12 + LXDE on the laptop (but there are many installed drivers for the touchpad, network equipment, working with the Fn key) - is it possible to transfer some files from there?

ruwolf

Re: Keyboard layout resets to default (en) due to unknown cause

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Hello. :)

I think, that it is caused by fact, that LXDE settings are dispersed in different directories.
And you, IMHO, probably deleted part of them, but not all.
If you not need any data from that /home/user directory, you can empty it completely; but when you are not logged in that session.
Because drivers and global settings are not in home directories.

Copying from newer version of Debian can work, but it is not sure, because new versions of parts of LXDE (and its dependencies) could use different formats of configuration files.