Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GDM3 stuck in a login loop

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kbajpai

GDM3 stuck in a login loop

#1 Post by kbajpai »

HI everyone .

So I've been using GNOME desktop environment since several months and everything was working fine and I installed PyCharm and added included it under $PATH and 20 minutes after that , my terminal asked me to chose between "lightdm" and "sddm" and there was no option to select my current display manager, so i selected "lightdm" and everything worked fine , however when i tried to login using sddm or gdm3 i was stuck in a "login loop" even after entering the correct password i was shown a black screen for few seconds and after that i was re-directed back to the login screen . So , this is my current issue :

Things that I have tried but which didn't ended up fixing the issue .
  • Purge removed gdm3 several times and re-installed it .
      • Rebooted several times
      • I had edited my .bashrc file to include /snap/bin under echo $PATH , removed it from .bashrc but /snap/bin/ was still present after reboots , so searched it and it was dynamically added to a file under profile.d , removed it from their and /snap/bin was removed from echo $PATH (I thought about this since /snap/bin directory was not present in $PATH of lightdm but it was present in gdm3 and sddm but it didn't ended up fixing the issue)
      • Gave all the permssions to .Xauthority file under /home/username directory and saw that .Xauthority was present under /var/lib directory of lightdm but was not present under /var/lib directory of gdm3 so included it there , still didn't work .
      • Made sure that /tmp had all the permissions "drwxrwxrwt" 6)Removed .Xauthority from home directory of gdm3 but placed it under /var/lib , didn't work . (Since i didn't wanted to completely remove it)
      I've attached the screenshots of .xsession-errors and the issue that i'm getting under below link :

https://imgur.com/a/gx6uA8b

I did "sudo apt-get remove qemu-system-data" and removed it and rebooted as well but it didn't seem to work however I got new xsession-error logs

https://imgur.com/a/xB5l1Rp

I'm not able to comprehend the required next steps to take , i tried referring the x-sessionerror.old log it does show something related to qemu.desktop but i wanted to check with you people before making any further changes .

Edit: Currently everything is working fine in lightdm environment however gdm3 and sddm are not working which is the issue and i tried again to give full permissions to .Xauthority under /home/username and rename it as well but it didn't worked .

If there are some additional logs i need to look into , please educate me on those i'd love to go through those logs and figure out the cause of this issue .

Thank you so much for looking into this .

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GDM3 stuck in a login loop

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

GDM is the display manager for Gnome. I have no idea why you would have two other DMs as a result of installing the package you did.

You are likely to run into issues if not using GDM with Gnome. I would suggest setting it as the default:

https://wiki.debian.org/DisplayManager# ... ay_manager

And finding out why the other DMs are installed:

Code: Select all

$ aptitude why lightdm && aptitude why sddm
You may need to install aptitude.

kbajpai

#3 Post by kbajpai »

GDM is the display manager for Gnome. I have no idea why you would have two other DMs as a result of installing the package you did.

You are likely to run into issues if not using GDM with Gnome. I would suggest setting it as the default:

CODE: SELECT ALL

I was using GDM with GNOME and GDM was my default display manager earlier but suddenly it got removed and i was presented with options to select either lightdm or sddm since i've selected lightdm i've switched to gdm3 and multiple times and i'm facing this issue

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

kbajpai wrote: 2024-02-12 08:08

CODE: SELECT ALL

I was using GDM with GNOME and GDM was my default display manager earlier but suddenly it got removed and i was presented with options to select either lightdm or sddm since i've selected lightdm i've switched to gdm3 and multiple times and i'm facing this issue
What is the output of the command in my previous post?

What is output of the following?

Code: Select all

# dpkg-reconfigure gdm3