Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Industry] Microsoft is Introducing Sudo for Windows

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

[Industry] Microsoft is Introducing Sudo for Windows

#1 Post by donald »

We’re excited to announce the release of Sudo for Windows in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 26052! Sudo for Windows is a new way for users to run elevated commands directly from an unelevated console session. It is an ergonomic and familiar solution for users who want to elevate a command without having to first open a new elevated console.

We are also excited to announce that we are open-sourcing this project here on GitHub! We’re working hard to add more information about the project in the GitHub repo and will be sharing more details about our plans in the coming months! If you’re looking for additional functionality that Sudo for Windows does not provide, check out Gerardo Grignoli’s gsudo which has a number of additional features and configuration options.

Code: Select all

sudo config --enable <configuration_option>
In this configuration, Sudo for Windows will open a new elevated console window and run the command in that window. This is the default configuration option when sudo is enabled. For example, if you run:

A new window will open and the command will be run in that window:
Full article
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Industry] Microsoft is Introducing Sudo for Windows

#2 Post by wizard10000 »

Opens a new window? I see that MS marketing team is at it again :)

I have a story.

I drank the Kool-Aid for many years. Former MS-MVP in desktop operating systems, formerly one of the core 500 beta testers for MS Games.

During the Windows XP beta there was significant debate over whether the new Windows Firewall should be activated on boot. Almost every single beta tester thought this was a good idea but when XP finally shipped you had to enable the firewall manually. Marketing won :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

Try as they might, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - they will NEVER be what Linux/Unix/*nix is and was.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Uptorn

#4 Post by Uptorn »

Low information users are going to attribute the addition and even the creation of sudo as a Microsoft endeavor because of this. On the upside, this brings Windows one step closer to the great 'nix-ification.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Sounds more like EEE to me!

donald

#6 Post by donald »

I think it is a step in a good direction for system/network administrators to use the proper tools rather than having to go through multiple levels of GUI or software. Win in my book.

The Internet search engines are soon to be filled with sudo[/i comments for which *nix users will go down false rabbit holes trying to find an answer. Lose in my book. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by cds60601 »

donald wrote: 2024-02-12 17:11 ... Win in my book.
... Lose in my book. :)
What is this book, you speak of ;)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

donald

#8 Post by donald »

cds60601 wrote: 2024-02-12 23:36
donald wrote: 2024-02-12 17:11 ... Win in my book.
... Lose in my book. :)
What is this book, you speak of ;)
The Book of Corporate Lies, volume II, where to find headlight fluid edition, 1st print 1963.:D
Typo perfectionish.

Uptorn

#9 Post by Uptorn »

donald wrote: 2024-02-12 17:11 The Internet search engines are soon to be filled with sudo comments for which *nix users will go down false rabbit holes trying to find an answer. Lose in my book. :)
Searches are already so unfruitful with all of the name collision that exists, products or services using the names of places or actions or natural things. What do most people find today when trying to search for how to adjust page zoom in a browser, for example?
Last edited by Uptorn on 2024-02-13 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

donald

#10 Post by donald »

Uptorn wrote: 2024-02-13 05:12
donald wrote: 2024-02-12 17:11 The Internet search engines are soon to be filled with sudo comments for which *nix users will go down false rabbit holes trying to find an answer. Lose in my book. :)
Searches are already so unfruitful with all of the name collision that exists, products or services using the names of places or actions or natural things. What do most people find today when trying to search for how to adjust page zoom in a browser, for example?
I've gone backward in searching for things, now I buy the book or subscribe to the mailing list for whatever it is I am working on. Search engine results will always amount to a broken system, especially if one implements a fix for the moment without understanding the why or how, then later forgets about the found fix and updates the system. Good luck on the next dist upgrade. Better to be informed on something than use band-aids on a car engine.
Typo perfectionish.

Hetzer

#11 Post by Hetzer »

I think it's sole purpose is to only make one think that he/she owns his/her system...
Literally, what can be done as "superuser" on Windows if one can't even delete stupid bloated chrome-spinoff (Edge) without "permission from TrustedInstaller"?
Heave 'er up, and away we'll go...

Uptorn

#12 Post by Uptorn »

Hetzer wrote: 2024-02-13 13:07 I think it's sole purpose is to only make one think that he/she owns his/her system...
Literally, what can be done as "superuser" on Windows if one can't even delete stupid bloated chrome-spinoff (Edge) without "permission from TrustedInstaller"?
I have seen how the 'Linux subsystem for Windows' has served to placate a certain demographic. The demographic being the techie who values access to software tools but without necessarily valuing freedom. Trust me, there are many like them.

If you try to explain to them why Linux nested within Windows is a slow boil entrapment scheme, you will get only the infamous "fluoride stare" in response.

Hetzer

#13 Post by Hetzer »

Uptorn wrote: I have seen how the 'Linux subsystem for Windows' has served to placate a certain demographic. The demographic being the techie who values access to software tools but without necessarily valuing freedom. Trust me, there are many like them.
Ye, I know such people exist - 'cause such happened in me case to be the hardest to convince for liberty. Like they are hard-wired to think that proprietariness is good and free software (for them it's only "open-source") has no ethical benefits
Uptorn wrote: If you try to explain to them why Linux nested within Windows is a slow boil entrapment scheme, you will get only the infamous "fluoride stare" in response.
Can ye elaborate on that? I mean, the "Linux nested within Windows is a slow boil entrapment scheme" part
It's that they integrate Linux (or de-facto a GNU userland) into Windows so people stay with Meinkrosoft? Or ya mean something else?

Uptorn

#14 Post by Uptorn »

Meinkrosoft
I know that others have posted here about "being professional" with terminology, but that is hilarious. Thank you for brightening my day a little bit.
Hetzer wrote: 2024-02-13 15:51 Ye, I know such people exist - 'cause such happened in me case to be the hardest to convince for liberty. Like they are hard-wired to think that proprietariness is good and free software (for them it's only "open-source") has no ethical benefits
I am eager to dissect this further, as it is something of an area of 'active research' in trying to understand the psychology behind software choices, but is probably outside the scope of this thread. Maybe we can open a dedicated topic?
Can ye elaborate on that? I mean, the "Linux nested within Windows is a slow boil entrapment scheme" part
It's that they integrate Linux (or de-facto a GNU userland) into Windows so people stay with Meinkrosoft? Or ya mean something else?
As you may already know, WSL (and WSLg) is basically the inverse of WINE. Linux system calls are translated for the NT kernel in Windows. The idea being that users will not need to virtualize or multi-boot actual Linux, thus minimizing their contact with non-Microsoft controlled digital territory, in order to run Linux programs.

Their target is mainly software developers who would be using programming interpreters or terminal programs as part of their workflow. But it effectively incentivizes developers not to leave the Windows plantation. As WSL expands, as with the Windows 11 inclusion of a mature WSLg, some portion of Windows users who would otherwise be interested in trying Linux will be retained as their curiosities satisfied by fully integrated Windows desktop Linux programs. I make this assertion on the premise that there are many techies (which I will not try to enumerate) who do not see things in the context of avoiding proprietary oppression.

While I applaud any effort at increasing interoperability, you have to realize that WINE and WSL are both examples of adversarial interoperability. The difference between the two is that the former is attempting to enable users to step out of the cattle pen, while the latter seeks to make captive users feel as though they're not actually inside a cattle pen.

donald

#15 Post by donald »

Uptorn wrote: 2024-02-13 17:27
Meinkrosoft
I know that others have posted here about "being professional" with terminology, but that is hilarious. Thank you for brightening my day a little bit.eks to make captive users feel as though they're not actually inside a cattle pen.

*raises hand, MS does a lot in many communities, blah, blah, blah ...

But I have to admit that was pretty funny. :lol:
Typo perfectionish.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by CwF »

So the Marketing Department writes software?
Pure marketing, no technical merits whatsoever.

Hetzer

#17 Post by Hetzer »

Uptorn wrote: I am eager to dissect this further, as it is something of an area of 'active research' in trying to understand the psychology behind software choices, but is probably outside the scope of this thread. Maybe we can open a dedicated topic?
I'd happy to see such topic
Uptorn wrote:The difference between the two is that the former is attempting to enable users to step out of the cattle pen, while the latter seeks to make captive users feel as though they're not actually inside a cattle pen.
While first is true, I think the second isn't so. Users of Windows and WSL usually don't even know about that "cattle pen" situation they're in - They think of Linux as "an alternative to Windows" and completely ignore lock-in they're ditching themselves into
donald wrote:MS does a lot in many communities
does a lot in many communities...
...where they see potential income. They would not fund i.e. Linux if they didn't use it internally / make money of it (ahem, Azure).
Also note that by supporting "open-source" (note that they don't say "libre" or "free") they make themselves good reputation for short-sighted so they find MS okay and stick to it
It's nothing but capitalism, mates
CwF wrote:So the Marketing Department writes software?
I think it's nothing new, Windows 11 itself is perfect example of software written by them

donald

#18 Post by donald »

Hetzer wrote: 2024-02-13 20:21
...where they see potential income. They would not fund i.e. Linux if they didn't use it internally / make money of it (ahem, Azure).
Also note that by supporting "open-source" (note that they don't say "libre" or "free") they make themselves good reputation for short-sighted so they find MS okay and stick to it
I don't follow you here. Are you saying a for profit company is trying to make money in markets?
Typo perfectionish.

Hetzer

#19 Post by Hetzer »

donald wrote: 2024-02-13 21:12
Hetzer wrote: 2024-02-13 20:21
I don't follow you here. Are you saying a for profit company is trying to make money in markets?
Well yes, I want to point out that they don't do that because they're nice - It may sound stupid, but sadly a lot of people don't get it and believe that MS / Google went to good side and they support this "open-source" thing