Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] [RESOLVED] Installing over Mint and Win10

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
JeSuisFlaneur

[Solved] [RESOLVED] Installing over Mint and Win10

#1 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I paid for the installation of a 1T drive on this laptop. (Asus X540y). The installer put Mint on one-half and Win10 on the other.

I want to return to Debian. The disk has 6 partitions on it. The common 100-odd gig FAT, a partition of 17 gig with an unknown named filesystem. Then the 518 Gig Win NTFS partition. Partition #6 is the Linux and 506 Gig. (The installer didn't know to put the / and /home on different partitions?) and lastly two partitions, one of 524 meg Win recovery and the second free space of 1.7 meg.

I'm in Debian LiveUSB as I type. I want to install Debian over the Mint, making three partitions in Debian. A /, /home and /swap. Those will use the 506 gig that Mint uses.

I have a offline backup of all my work, music, and non-OS files.

1. Will the Debian installer recognize the UEFI and other windows partitions and make them play nice with Linux? Does GRUB need some extra configuration because this is an install of Debian over Mint? What specifically do I need to know?
2. Once in the installer how do I make Debian LiveUSB wipe the Linux (/dev/sda5) and make the / and /home and /swap? -- that is, does the installer make this possible? Once that is done will GRUB know what to do with all those partitions.
3. I don't want to lose Win10 if possible. But it's not a deal breaker.
4. Meanwhile, I'm leaving this laptop powered up and running LiveUSB.
5. If the 17 gig unknown filesystem isn't GRUB or Linux, I'ld like to get that back for Debian.

Thank you Linux Community.
Attachments
partitions.png
Last edited by JeSuisFlaneur on 2024-02-15 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

pbear

Re: Installing over Mint and Win10

#2 Post by pbear »

Not going to try to give you complete installation instructions on a user forum. You're planning to do an advanced installation. Not brain surgery, but advanced. It's on you to do enough research to understand how this works.

That said, a few pointers. First, assuming you mean sda2, that's a 17 MB partition (not GB); at a guess, an OEM support partition; in any event, not worth worrying about. Second, unlike Mint, Debian doesn't enable os-prober (fwiw, not-enabled is default), so that needs to be changed if you want Grub to boot Windows. Third, a Debian live session has two installation options; the one you see on desktop is the Calamares installer; alternatively, you can get the standard Debian installer from the Grub menu at boot. Both installers will work for what you want to do, but notice which is being used by whatever tutorial you end up deciding to follow.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.