Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How not to format home directory during install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
reformedhatter

How not to format home directory during install

#1 Post by reformedhatter »

When I installed Debian 12 I chose to have a separate home partition. How do I re-install Debian 12 without formatting the home partition again?

arzgi

Re: How not to format home directory during install

#2 Post by arzgi »

reformedhatter wrote: 2024-02-12 14:03 When I installed Debian 12 I chose to have a separate home partition. How do I re-install Debian 12 without formatting the home partition again?
I have used only expert install, but I'd guess it is in other installation methods as well. Select manual, when the installer is going to make the disk partitions. Then select the disk and partition where your /home is, check it to used as /home, and don't format.

arzgi

#3 Post by arzgi »

Good to make backup of your /home before trying, better to be safe than sorry. The right procedure is described above, but if might be difficult if you are not a seasoned Linux user.

When you get Debian installed, you have to change the ownerhsip of the preserved /home to you, since Linux sees users as numbers, and it is changed even if you use the same username. To do that

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R /home/$user/* $user:$user
$user is your username.

reformedhatter

#4 Post by reformedhatter »

Thanks for the advice

srishti0505

#5 Post by srishti0505 »

To prevent formatting the home directory during installation, follow these steps based on common Linux installation procedures:

Manual Partitioning:
During the installation process, choose manual partitioning (also known as custom partitioning or manual disk setup) instead of automatic partitioning. This allows you to control which partitions are formatted.

Identify Home Partition:
If your home directory is on a separate partition, identify it in the partitioning tool. Typically, the home partition is listed as /home or may have a custom mount point you specified.

Modify Partition Settings:
Select the home partition and edit its settings. Ensure that the "Format" option is unchecked or disabled. This tells the installer not to format the partition during installation.

Proceed with Installation:
After configuring the partition settings, proceed with the rest of the installation process. The installer will preserve the contents of the home partition without formatting it.

Backup Important Data:
It's always recommended to back up important data before performing any disk partitioning or installation tasks to prevent accidental data loss.

Post-Installation Verification:
After the installation is complete, verify that your home directory and its contents are intact and accessible. Ensure that your user account settings and permissions are retained.

These steps may vary slightly depending on the Linux distribution and installer used. Always refer to the official installation documentation or guides provided by the Linux distribution for specific instructions tailored to your setup.

Borg

#6 Post by Borg »

If you're not used to the Debian installer, the best method is to just make a dry-run in a virtual machine.
Last edited by Borg on 2024-04-15 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

@srishti0505 please don't post AI generated replies in this forum. You may receive a warning or ban.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!