Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which non-hp printer for my deb laptops?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Heeter

Which non-hp printer for my deb laptops?

#1 Post by Heeter »

Hi all,

I am going to get rid of my hp printers, Both refuse to work completely just because I am missing cyan ink, cannot scan, cannot print black&white, cannot refill and reuse the hp originals, because of the obtuse hp terms of service. Printers took firmware updates without my knowledge.

Anyways, what would be a good all-in-one network printer scanner that I can network with my debian and debian based laptops?

Something hopefully that respects somewhat the open source community.

Don't mind paying for something new, and that doesn't let me down on a Saturday night.

Regards

Bulkley

Re: Which non-hp printer for my deb laptops?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Can you turn off the automatic update feature? plug the printer's IP address into your browser and see what comes up. You might be able to access all sorts of settings.

I know this will sound counter intuitive but bear with me. We have a Canon MX30. It's old. It's so old that it hasn't been infected with corporate dirty tricks. It just keeps plugging along. My suspicion is that all manufacturers have been infected with corporate dirty tricks such as the one you relate.

A firewall might be a good idea; one that blocks your printer's manufacturer.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

It really depends on the HP printer. For example, I have an seen M254dw's use clone toners that actually include a chip.
Of course, some clone carts don't include the chip thus you would need to rely on removing the chips from your authentic toner carts to use in the clones.
That is what was done at the place I used to work at and it worked well for them. Saved a poop load of money too.

I know it may not help you right now, bu a little research might prove to go a long way for you as to what HP's you can do this with and what toners.
As to a recommendation, I think most techs would agree, that we hate printers. I know I do. For the most part, they are more trouble then they are worth.

But to your point, I have had both Brother and HP lasers. I have had good luck with both.
For simple B/W printing, a cheap Brother (HL-23xx series) worked very well for me in the past and the toner is dirt cheap (if you don't need an all-in-one printer).

As to the firmware update, Seems weird that the "printer" just updated itself. Usually its the companion software that you would install that does that.
For example, under windows and you install the software with all the whistles and bells, that would do that. I have seen it happen to my wife's Epson printers.
Of course, I'm not speaking of Windows Updates either. So I would be very hesitant with a printer that "thinks" on it's own and just updates firmware because it called the mother-ship.

If they are programming AI into printers now, I think we as humans have other things to worry about in the near future than just printers that use proprietary cartridges.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

I'm a big fan of Brother laser printers for Linux. I quit paying the HP tax years ago when I learned a set of OEM toner cartridges for my HP color laser cost more than the printer did. Brother provides Linux drivers and the HL-5450DN black and white laser printer we have here has been on its starter cartridge for years. Does ethernet and has a hardware duplexer and the price was right.

We gave up color printing at the house years ago because no requirement.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

wizard10000 wrote: 2024-01-01 09:15 I'm a big fan of Brother laser printers for Linux. I quit paying the HP tax years ago when I learned a set of OEM toner cartridges for my HP color laser cost more than the printer did. Brother provides Linux drivers and the HL-5450DN black and white laser printer we have here has been on its starter cartridge for years. Does ethernet and has a hardware duplexer and the price was right.

We gave up color printing at the house years ago because no requirement.
The HL-5450DN doesn't need drivers. A print queue for that printer should be set up automatically for that printer in Debian 11 onwards using Airprint (driverless) technology.

viewtopic.php?t=153763

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201311

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by wizard10000 »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-01-01 09:38The HL-5450DN doesn't need drivers. A print queue for that printer should be set up automatically for that printer in Debian 11 onwards using Airprint (driverless) technology.
Yep - I'm aware. I could have been more clear, my point was more that Brother cared enough about Linux to provide drivers ;)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

wizard10000 wrote: 2024-01-01 10:07
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-01-01 09:38The HL-5450DN doesn't need drivers. A print queue for that printer should be set up automatically for that printer in Debian 11 onwards using Airprint (driverless) technology.
Yep - I'm aware. I could have been more clear, my point was more that Brother cared enough about Linux to provide drivers ;)
Yes, and kudos to them for doing so. I used their drivers on my (non-driverless) Brother laser printer, before it was added to the open-source driver.

But it's worth making clear to anybody thinking about purchasing a printer theses days that most modern* printers don't need drivers.

* which actually means modern design, rather than modern manufacture. My model is still on sale, but its design seems to date back to the Win XP period.

Heeter

#8 Post by Heeter »

Hi Thanks for all your inputs.

I will head over to the office solutions store and check out the brother line

Thanks again

M22

#9 Post by M22 »

I like HP laptops, but never had good experiences with HP printers.

What I have noticed is, Brother Printers have better support in Linux. The website even has detailed instructions on how to install the drivers.

I'm having both Brother laser printer in office and Canon printer at home. Canon...it's Linux support is so so. Just works, that's it.