Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia driver update broke GPU

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Wild Tom

Nvidia driver update broke GPU

#1 Post by Wild Tom »

Hi, I am using a "maxsun GEFORCE GT 1030" from NVIDIA, and I updated the driver and now when booting I am told that nvidia-persistenced.service will not start. The system will not boot, I am using the 6.1.0-10-amd64 kernel on Debian 12.

This is what I get when I run sudo systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service

Code: Select all

× nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-12-19 13:58:44 CST; 9min ago
    Process: 743 ExecStart=/usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvpd (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 3122 ExecStopPost=/bin/rm -rf /var/run/nvidia-persistenced (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 9ms

Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: Starting nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon...
Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop nvidia-persistenced[749]: Started (749)
Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop nvidia-persistenced[749]: Failed to query NVIDIA devices. Please ensure that the NVIDIA device files (/dev/nvidia*) exist, and that user 113 has read and write permissions for those files.
Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop nvidia-persistenced[743]: nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more details.
Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop nvidia-persistenced[749]: Shutdown (749)
Dec 19 13:57:14 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 19 13:58:44 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: State 'stop-sigterm' timed out. Killing.
Dec 19 13:58:44 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Killing process 749 (nvidia-persiste) with signal SIGKILL.
Dec 19 13:58:44 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 19 13:58:44 TomsLinuxDesktop systemd[1]: Failed to start nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Nvidia driver update broke GPU

#2 Post by None1975 »

What method did you use when you installed the nvidia driver?

P.S.

You can try revert to opensource (Nouveau) driver.

Uninstallation is made easy with recent versions of the drivers.

You can remove all packages on your system with nvidia in the name by running (as root):

apt purge "*nvidia*"
And then reboot the system with:

systemctl reboot
This should leave you with a functioning system in almost all cases. If it seems to still be having issues, you may also try running (as root):

apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wild Tom

#3 Post by Wild Tom »

Thank you, I used apt to install and update my driver, also I tried to install using the NVIDIA installer from their website, when trying that I disabled nouveau and could not get it running again, thanks.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

Wild Tom wrote: 2023-12-20 15:27 I tried to install using the NVIDIA installer from their website
This is bad news..

If you absolutely must have the proprietary closed-source drivers, do not download them directly from the manufacturer's website! Installing drivers this way only works for the current kernel, and after the next kernel update, your video drivers will not work until they are manually reinstalled again.

So, you must reinstall your video driver....

I suggest that after uninstalling the video driver, reinstall it following the official instructions.

Instruction

HomespunEffects

#5 Post by HomespunEffects »

None1975 wrote: 2023-12-20 13:05 What method did you use when you installed the nvidia driver?

P.S.

You can remove all packages on your system with nvidia in the name by running (as root):

apt purge "*nvidia*"

systemctl reboot
This should leave you with a functioning system in almost all cases. If it seems to still be having issues, you may also try running (as root):

Thanks for helping. This worked for me.

Borg

#6 Post by Borg »

HomespunEffects wrote: 2024-02-12 20:13
None1975 wrote: 2023-12-20 13:05 What method did you use when you installed the nvidia driver?

P.S.

apt purge "*nvidia*"

systemctl reboot

Thanks for helping. This worked for me.
Nouveau drivers are slow and often buggy.
In your own interest, use the proprietary drivers by installing them the right way from the debian repository and not from Nvidia's website:
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

No, it is not. On my Gtx650 opensource driver works better than proprietary driver. No lockups, no crashes...

Borg

#8 Post by Borg »

None1975 wrote: 2024-02-17 11:10

No, it is not. On my Gtx650 opensource driver works better than proprietary driver. No lockups, no crashes...
I have different experiences with my Geforce 4 4800SE (NV43), Geforce 6600 Go and Geforce GTX 550 and the Nouveau drivers.

Your GTX540 is simply too old for the new 525.147.05 drivers that are shipped in Debian Bullseye stable. You will need the older nvidia-legacy drivers that are only available in bullseye-backports or an older version of Debuan, like Debian 11 (Buster).
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

If you read the supported products list of the new 525 driver, you will see, that your old GTX540 is not mentioned.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

Your GTX540 is simply too old for the new 525.147.05 drivers
What you wrote has long been known to me. My video card is gtx650. And previously I used a closed source driver (nvidia-tesla-470-driver). I didn't feel any difference when using this driver compared to the open source driver. So I decided to use an open source driver.