Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Speedtest-cli vs Iperf3 results differ markedly

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
devNull

Speedtest-cli vs Iperf3 results differ markedly

#1 Post by devNull »

Recently upgraded to Bookworm (running headless), and all seemed fine. Yesterday I ran speedtest-cli, and the download results are 30Mbps (other devices report 300Mbps).

When I run Iperf3, all looks fine at 940Mbps.

I reinstalled speedtest-cli after remove/purge, but its result is the same.

So I am puzzled. Is there an alternate test for internet download that can clear this up.

I'm a bit of a noobie so please be easy on me. Thanks for your help!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Speedtest-cli vs Iperf3 results differ markedly

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 16:36 Recently upgraded to Bookworm (running headless), and all seemed fine. Yesterday I ran speedtest-cli, and the download results are 30Mbps (other devices report 300Mbps).
You need to use the same benchmark and the same connection type (wired or wireless) on all devices to compare the results.
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 16:36 When I run Iperf3, all looks fine at 940Mbps.
As reported before, you need to use the same benchmark to compare results.
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 16:36 So I am puzzled. Is there an alternate test for internet download that can clear this up.
I would suggest to focus on the type of measurement you want to achieve. Are you interested in the download speed of your internet service provider or something else ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

devNull

#3 Post by devNull »

Aki wrote: 2024-02-08 19:13 You need to use the same benchmark and the same connection type (wired or wireless) on all devices to compare the results.
Agree. I ran speedtest-cli also on a Raspberry Pi running Bookworm, and it yielded 300Mbps
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 16:36 When I run Iperf3, all looks fine at 940Mbps.
Aki wrote: 2024-02-08 19:13 As reported before, you need to use the same benchmark to compare results.
Iperf3 was run across all network devices, and all consistently showed "full" bandwidth (~940Mkps). To me, this infers all cables are working to the limit of the network cards within the LAN.
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 16:36 So I am puzzled. Is there an alternate test for internet download that can clear this up.
Aki wrote: 2024-02-08 19:13 I would suggest to focus on the type of measurement you want to achieve. Are you interested in the download speed of your internet service provider or something else ?
With all other devices reporting 10x the download rate of the Debian NUC (including cable switching), My concern is that I am somehow rate limited, when pulling down files, isos etc. This suggests something isn't properly set. Thank you for your reply.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
devNull wrote: 2024-02-08 20:00 With all other devices reporting 10x the download rate of the Debian NUC (including cable switching), My concern is that I am somehow rate limited, when pulling down files, isos etc. This suggests something isn't properly set. Thank you for your reply.
If this difference is consistent with the same benchmark using the same hardware connection on different computers, you can check the network configuration of your NUC hardware.

For example, you can start checking the network speed negotiated by your NUC's network adapter with your modem/router by using the ethtool command.

Then, you can compare it to:
  • the declared download speed of your internet provider
  • the local network speed of your internet modem/router/switch declared by manufacturer
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

devNull

#5 Post by devNull »

Aki wrote: 2024-02-09 06:25If this difference is consistent with the same benchmark using the same hardware connection on different computers, you can check the network configuration of your NUC hardware.

For example, you can start checking the network speed negotiated by your NUC's network adapter with your modem/router by using the ethtool command.

Then, you can compare it to:
  • the declared download speed of your internet provider
  • the local network speed of your internet modem/router/switch declared by manufacturer
Thank you. Here's what I have found:

Code: Select all

sudo ethtool enp89s0 | grep Speed
Speed: 1000Mb/s

sudo ethtool enp89s0
Settings for enp89s0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
                                2500baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
                                2500baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        MDI-X: off (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

cat /sys/class/net/enp89s0/speed
This is consistent with my modem/router/switch spec, and 3x what my ISP provides.

FWIW, some time ago (maybe a year) when I first installed and ran speedtest-cli (on Bullseye at that time), the speedtest showed the expected download value from my ISP (typically 330Mbps download), as opposed to day's 30-50Mbps. This still puzzles me.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hello,

What is the result of the test using the online version of speedtest ? You can find it at the following URL: Note the remark from the package's home page at:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello @devNull,
Have you made any progress ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀