Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Suggestions about Docker Swarm

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
coppolino97

[Discussion] Suggestions about Docker Swarm

#1 Post by coppolino97 »

Hello folks,
During the latest day I deployed in my lab, for the first time, docker swarm.

I resume my tiny deployment:
- three VM in same LAN
- shared storage using GlusterFS. The storage is shared by VM theirself.
- one VM is docker swarm manager, other two virtual machines are docker swarm workers.

I decided to use GlusterFS to replicate docker data on each node of my environment.
Right now I deployed a very simple wordpress website (frontend+mysql backend) with success.

How did you manage container deploy? Do you usually deploy the same software on each node via "Replica" option?
I deployed docker on just first worker, so every time I turn off a worker node, containers take time to start on the secondary worker.
Moreover I need to change IP in my URL to still surf website.

Do you use different storage solution?
Do you have other suggestion for me? :D

Thanks a lot
Federico
Lenovo T460 | 8Gbyte of RAM | Intel core i5 | SSD 250GB | Debian 12

Delobian

Re: [Discussion] Suggestions about Docker Swarm

#2 Post by Delobian »

In my experience, I usually go with the "Replica" option for deploying containers, especially for frontends. It helps ensure redundancy and high availability. Also, I tend to store static files separately, often using an FTP server.

For deployment automation, I often leverage GitLab's CI/CD pipelines. This way, with each build, the deployment process kicks in automatically, ensuring seamless updates. And having replicas definitely helps in achieving zero downtime during production deployments.

------------------------------
Délobian - [moderator removed]