Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Trixie] Unicode symbols all black and white & screen flicker

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
niclassoderlund

[Testing - Trixie] Unicode symbols all black and white & screen flicker

#1 Post by niclassoderlund »

Hi all,

Im running Trixie with all the latest updates installed every day. This is a Lenovo laptop that I run with the latest experimental kernel, with I3 WM as my window manager and with p3status instead of i3bar as my status bar. These are the versions:

Linux n1 6.7-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.7.4-1~exp1 (2024-02-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux
i3 version 4.23 (2023-10-29) © 2009 Michael Stapelberg and contributors
py3status version 3.54 (python 3.11.8) on i3

Now. Since about three or four days I have a strange problem. No matter which application (including browsers), almost all my unicode symbols/glyphs are all in black and white. Not all, but most of them. They are also quite stilized and strange looking.

It's not related to the kernel, I've booted the latest testing kernel and the problem remains the same. I have also tested a range of verified unicode- and pango friendly fonts to no avail.

So since it seems to be system wide, Im guessing something else is in play. I cant figure what, though. Any similar problems or hints of solutions are most welcome.

If I even knew what more information of installed bits and pieces I have on my system I should write in this post I would have, but I dont.

Regards,

Niclas