Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Basic Project/work management software {SOLVED]

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
johna1954

[Discussion] Basic Project/work management software {SOLVED]

#1 Post by johna1954 »

Hi,
I hope this is the right forum if not my apologies and will move to another.
I run a small business ( providing printing services to Artists) by myself and looking to see if there is any Linux software that will run a basic to-do/work list.
I would like to be able to transfer an order received by email to a list that would show when order received, started, a note of any messages sent to customer relating to the order, are additional materials required and been ordered. Date customer would like the order to be ready, and how dispatched.
I am sure these are fairly common requirements. Currently using email and copious amounts of scribbling on paper and as we have got busier (and myself a lot older) not running as efficiently as I should.
Do not need any charts etc.

Is there anything remotely like this available for Linux (Debian 12) or should I invest in a forest? :lol:

Many thanks in advance for any comments/ suggestions you can make.

:linked:
Last edited by johna1954 on 2024-02-29 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Basic Project/work management software

#2 Post by CwF »

take a look at cherrytree.

I've adapted to everything not in a spreadsheet lives in a cherry tree.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by donald »

My 1st suggestion would be [url=https://nextcloud.com]Nextcloud/url] a cloud based (or you run your own cloud) server which has a bit more than you need but gives you the basics and then more such as: Calendar, Shared Calendar for employee accounts, a To-do listing and ability to push tasks to users/employees, Document storage, and so on ... it has a lot more features but most of them you may not need. But from your business perspective is probably something that you do need.

That is my software suggestion.

For your actual problem I don't have an answer. What is sounds like you desire is a tool that can scan/read an email with a particular subject e.g "Order request", then extract certain fields of information from that email, then move that extracted data into a preformed To-Do list that I assume you would wish to have some control over for assignment, due date, notes, and so on. I think on that side you would have to have some custom software in place or a good developer set up a series of scripts to make that action happen.

I still think a collaboration cloud of some sort will work for you ... and without some kind of bridge between the order -> email -> todo -> task list, someone is still manually entering that data.

Hopefully someone chimes in with better or working advice for you. I'm actually looking for something similar for a friend but he is years out from setting this up so I'm definitely interested in this thread. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

OnlyOffice Workspace
OpenProject
Wekan
RedMine
Taiga
If you have used MS Project, then look at ProjectLibre

All Project management tools. May be more that what you are looking to do though

Additionally, have a look here
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#5 Post by bbbhltz »

Perhaps a project management software would be helpful?

https://www.openproject.org/ is available for Debian

I don't know about email extraction... But software like evolution can do task lists, etc.

I have worked for places that just keep everything in spreadsheets. I don't like that idea.

Whatever you choose, make sure it can be backed up or easily exported.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

donald

#6 Post by donald »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-02-20 18:54 Whatever you choose, make sure it can be backed up or easily exported.
Narrator

Behold, a person of few words emerges from the archives of /dev/null. He shuffles forward slowly with purpose. The world pauses listening to his feet shuffle against the sands of time on the earth beneath his feet, waiting to hear him speak. And at the moment he uttered the most simple, most singular, the most pious of phrases regarding salvation. And thus we were all saved via backup. Peace be to you all and to bbbhltz.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#7 Post by bbbhltz »

@donald ha! I practice not what I preach! I keep my music backed up and I just manually rsync it to an external HDD once a week. I do have a Syncthing folder illed with work stuff, so I guess that counts... But I do not use Timeshift or anything like that. All credibility in my advice can be disregarded.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

donald

#8 Post by donald »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-02-20 19:44 @donald ha! I practice not what I preach! I keep my music backed up and I just manually rsync it to an external HDD once a week. I do have a Syncthing folder illed with work stuff, so I guess that counts... But I do not use Timeshift or anything like that. All credibility in my advice can be disregarded.
Too late Icarus, you are in the heavens now:

viewtopic.php?t=158366
Typo perfectionish.

johna1954

#9 Post by johna1954 »

Thank you all for your most helpful suggestions.
I had a quick look at Kanboard as it was in the repos but did not install as waiting to hear back from this forum. In my searches I saw 'Wekan', thank you cds60601 for helping to make my mind up. Now installed and will play around with it. It looks promising, and not too complicated (which suits me). found a good tutorial here on Opensource.com : https://opensource.com/article/17/12/we ... -your-work
I will report back in a few days to advise how it has gone.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply :)

johna1954

#10 Post by johna1954 »

Working well and has enabled me to clear a lot of clutter from my desk. Easy to paste info into from email. Brillian suggestion.
Thanks again everyone