Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Trixie] Cannot output audio through HDMI

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
thewonderer

[Testing - Trixie] Cannot output audio through HDMI

#1 Post by thewonderer »

Hello!

When connecting my TV to my laptop via HDMI sound still plays from laptop. HDMI is not an option in plasma nor pavucontrol.

I moved to testing to try to fix this and did a fresh install of testing neither worked. The same setup works fine in win 10 (laptop, HDMI, TV). I've also tested the experimental version of pulse audio with no luck.

Thank you for your help on this!

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3254 Analog [ALC3254 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 12
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.107.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.6.15-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 15.4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Inspiron 7573

mrmazda

Re: [Testing - Trixie] Cannot output audio through HDMI

#2 Post by mrmazda »

Do you get HDMI sound if you launch a different session type from the GDM login screen, e.g. Gnome on X11 or IceWM or some other DE on X11 or Wayland? IOW, is the whole computer affected, or just Gnome or Gnome on Wayland?

thewonderer

#3 Post by thewonderer »

I am running KDE Plasma and audio does not play over HDMI on either X11 or Wayland. I installed the gnome package and audio played over HDMI in both the Gnome DE and Plasma DE after that. So only KDE Plasma is affected.

mrmazda

#4 Post by mrmazda »

Your response appears contradictory:
thewonderer wrote: 2024-02-24 03:35I installed the gnome package and audio played over HDMI in both the Gnome DE and Plasma DE after that.
Above suggests no more problems.
So only KDE Plasma is affected.
This suggests only in Plasma there still may be a problem. Does this mean Plasma works in either X11 or Wayland, but not in the other? Is problem solved? If not, is pipewire-pulse now installed?

Or, does your response simply amount to a report that a new KDE/Plasma installation doesn't currently provide sound support over HDMI, and installing Gnome was/is a solution?

thewonderer

#5 Post by thewonderer »

So I installed gnome to get an answer to your previous question. I would like to think that there is a more elegant solution than installing another DE that I have no intention of actively using. I'm not interested in adding unnecessary packages or processes to my system, so I've rolled back to a previous state before the gnome install. Playing audio over HDMI and switching the audio to that output when detecting a HDMI cable is plugged in is supposed to be a capability of Plasma. This is not just a report. I would also like to find a solution to the problem.

mrmazda

#6 Post by mrmazda »

You might benefit by booting Neon live media. You might be able to determine that something needs to be differently configured, or another package(s) installed. Current Neon user edition is still based on Ubuntu 22.04, more entwined with pulseaudio, less with pipewire/wireplumber, AFAICT. OTOH, you might inquire what foundation Neon Testing and Unstable are using. They could be closer to the Trixie audio setup you now have, possibly more useful, or additionally useful.

The following is part of how I track audio software differences among installations in trying to understand why one installation works and another not:

Code: Select all

dpkg-query -W | egrep 'alsa|arts|audio|codec|demul|fmpeg|gstr|jack|26[45]|mix|mpv|pavu|puls|sof-|sound|vlc|wire|xdg'|sort
FWIW, I have in my Trixies as little of pulseaudio as I can get away with, and none of Plasma 5 or 6, so can't think of any way to be more helpful here.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

thewonderer wrote: 2024-02-27 21:00 This is not just a report. I would also like to find a solution to the problem.
To report bugs, see here:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

This is a user forum, where users help each other.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

thewonderer

#8 Post by thewonderer »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2024-02-28 04:59
To report bugs, see here:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

This is a user forum, where users help each other.
I understand the purpose of this forum and I've already reported this bug. Its been over a week since I reported it and I dont know when or if I'll get a resolution through that channel. I'm hoping that this forum can help me with a work around or a solution to this issue that does not involve installing an entire DE.

To me other posts in this forum look like bugs that people are getting workaround solutions for. What am I missing?