Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Psychoanalysing proponents of two wheels

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Psychoanalyzing Windows adherents

#21 Post by CwF »

Dr Cheeto Cornchip wrote: 2024-02-28 18:43 Could probably get six or seven aluminum framed bikes for the cost of one carbon fiber frame.
Right, but they don't answer the same question. I could imagine an aluminum road bike being a good call. So the question, do you plan on leaving the ground on a regular basis? If yes, steer clear of aluminum.
Check out Trestle Bike Park. My K2 was for that. Now it's old, I'm old, time to convert it to a porky overweight electric bike. So not a five year investment, it should make 40, assuming I hold out.

In most things I'm not all about choice. I'm about choosing, and sticking with it. So that's why I use Debian. It's why when I par down to that one choice and commit, I like it to be the in best-of class.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2024-02-29 01:34 GPZ1000RX 1985
Was that the fuel injected one?

I have lots of Z1 parts, somebody needs to come and get them! Build up seriousness, box originals, sell custom creation, forget boxed original. That's how that happens...

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#23 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

@CwF I guess I'd just have to respectfully disagree. My girlfriend has had her Schwinn for around a decade and the two of us have ridden our bikes in some pretty harsh conditions. I can honestly say neither of us have ever had a problem with our bike frames.

Although we don't ride our bikes off ramps in bike parks, but I would imagine most bike tourists probably don't use their touring bikes for that type of thing. That's why they make BMX and mountain bikes, although all the serious mountain bikers I've met along the way had aluminum frames. Then again they weren't the type of people that could afford to drop two grand on a bicycle.

I'm sure steel frames have their uses and jumping off ramps makes sense to me, but my original post on the subject wasn't about the merits of steel on airborn bikes, it was about the necessity of steel when it comes to carrying the weight of loaded panniers which I've done a lot of for years on end now with no problems on my aluminum frame for a quarter of the cost. So if my girlfriend's department store Schwinn can last over ten years then, cost wise, the aluminum frame is cheaper.

There's nothing wrong with steel, but if you don't have a couple grand to drop on a bike then aluminum is your only option and it works just fine.

P.S. Did have to replace the bottom bracket and rear hub on my girlfriend's bike due to rusting non-stainless steel parts though.
"Grandpa Rick can you help me with my science homework?" -Summer Smith
"Yeah, just don't do it." -Rick Sanchez
https://www.inventati.org/1337gallery

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Post by sunrat »

Maybe we should change the topic to "Psychoanalysing proponents of two wheels". :lol:

It was kind of a silly premise for a topic originally anyway; I like how it veered of the rails.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#25 Post by donald »

@oswaldkelso

Very very nice bikes.

Ducati Panigale V2 2020
Ducati Speciale (this year)
Ducati Diavel 2013
Ducati Monster (shop)
Harley mismatch of awesome
Harley Night Train (no mods)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#26 Post by donald »

CwF wrote: 2024-02-29 01:54
oswaldkelso wrote: 2024-02-29 01:34 GPZ1000RX 1985
Was that the fuel injected one?

I have lots of Z1 parts, somebody needs to come and get them! Build up seriousness, box originals, sell custom creation, forget boxed original. That's how that happens...
Fuel injectors and lighting in a bottle. I was on a buddy's Ninja 600 leaning in on the highway doing around 90 and some guy with a 70's helmet, no gear, and a blue t-shirt passed me like I was a turtle. I remember it like it was yesterday. Dude wasn't even crouched down on the highway.

Those bikes did 130 with silly silly silly ease.
sunrat wrote: 2024-02-29 03:59 Maybe we should change the topic to "Psychoanalysing proponents of two wheels". :lol:

It was kind of a silly premise for a topic originally anyway; I like how it veered of the rails.
Done. :D
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Discussion] Psychoanalysing proponents of two wheels

#27 Post by oswaldkelso »

@CwF My bike is a very early model late 1985 one of the first 900 built. I believe all the RXs were carb and fuel injection appeared quit a bit later.

@Donald Very fast bike, crap handling and brakes. If I had to keep just one it would be the Moto Guzzi.

Like my computing choices it offers the most user control
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#28 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

There isn't really any psychoanalyzing going on though, just people listing the motorcycles they've owned. Maybe the topic should be "Motorcycles."

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by sunrat »

Dr Cheeto Cornchip wrote: 2024-02-29 14:33 There isn't really any psychoanalyzing going on though, just people listing the motorcycles they've owned....
The psychoanalysing goes on in the background. Like who needs 7 motorcycles? Why would someone do 130mph (Conversion for majority of the world: 209km/h) without a helmet? Fastest I have ever been on land was about 180km/h riding pillion on the back of a Ducati 860. I still question my sanity for getting on the bike with that guy! Was exciting and freakishly scary at the same time. I'm not a (motor) biker normally.
And it's not only motorcycles discussed here; many posts are about bicycles.
I have had one serious self-inflicted incident on my pushie this year and still recovering a little, and 2 potential fail to give ways where I would have crashed into the offender if not for locking up my brakes. Also questioning others sanity in those cases.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#30 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

sunrat wrote: 2024-02-29 21:28.
And it's not only motorcycles discussed here; many posts are about bicycles.
That's absurd. Who would talk about bicycles on a thread about analysts riding motorcycles running windows?

P.S. Problem quoting posts was due to using Brave browser.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by CwF »

Dr Cheeto Cornchip wrote: 2024-02-29 22:31 riding motorcycles running windows?
yah, I remember that time I put down a knee, clipped the apex to soon so was sure to drift over the center line into that oncoming truck, and bam - Bluescreen -segfault at 555w6t6f60420...Barely got it rebooted in time.

That's when I knew I should be running Debian.

Bulkley

#32 Post by Bulkley »

Many years ago I was driving on northern highway, following a couple on a big road bike (Harley or Goldwing; I can't remember). Everything was smooth driving until a black bear tore up out of a ditch and charged the motorcycle. The biker slammed on his brakes and downshifted raising a lot of dust and noise; the bear broke the chase and ran back to his ditch. As I went by I could see the bear with a road kill moose; he was defending his meal.

I caught up to the biking couple at the first gas station. The driver told me he was about to put the bike down and drift it at the bear when it broke away. Needless to say, they were still shaking.

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#33 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

CwF wrote: 2024-02-29 23:32 yah, I remember that time I put down a knee, clipped the apex to soon so was sure to drift over the center line into that oncoming truck, and bam - Bluescreen -segfault at 555w6t6f60420...Barely got it rebooted in time.

That's when I knew I should be running Debian.
:lol:

Sorry, don't have any motorcycle stories. Last year while riding in a bike lane I just about got it from a white escalade though. Sometimes I do bike lanes, sometimes I use the sidewalk. So I'm riding down the bike lane debating whether or not to move onto the sidewalk.

Initially I decide I'm going to stick to the bike lane, but as I'm about to cross an intersection I suddenly changed my mind and move out of the bike lane to hop on the sidewalk ramp. After I move out of the bike lane, before I've crossed onto the sidewalk, I notice a white Cadillac Escalade whizz by driving in the bike lane. Missed me by seconds.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Post by sunrat »

Dr Cheeto Cornchip wrote: 2024-02-29 22:31 P.S. Problem quoting posts was due to using Brave browser.
That'll learn ya! :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!