Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network DHCP refuses to reconn/renew after hibernate resume on Bookworm?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
csmr

Network DHCP refuses to reconn/renew after hibernate resume on Bookworm?

#1 Post by csmr »

Hi all,

Help troubleshooting and configuring Bookworm-system ethernet connection needed!

After resuming from hibernation, back into my OB session, the network (ethernet) connection doesn't seem to ever reconnect, and I always have to manually reconnect the eno1 net-interface, from admin console no less:

Code: Select all

# sudo ifdown eno1 && sudo ifup eno1
Is there a way that this would happen automatically after resuming from hibernate/logging in? I don't even fully understand what is the standard conf for a Bookwork desktop, after reading the wiki docs. :oops:

So far I have attempted these:
1. Uninstalled and removed NetworkManager from the system network conf.
2. Set "legacy" network conf for eno1 to reconnect automatically ("auto eno1").

What to look into next, or perhaps there might be a guide past the Debian wiki someplace?

$ uname -a
Linux amp 6.1.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.76-1 (2024-02-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup 
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
allow-hotplug eno1
iface eno1 inet dhcp

auto enp2s0
allow-hotplug ep2s0
iface enp2s0 inet dhcp
Hibernate and resume seen in dmesg:
https://paste.debian.net/1308452/

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Network DHCP refuses to reconn/renew after hibernate resume on Bookworm?

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Can you please report the output of the following command run after resume from hibernate ?

script log.txt
su -l -c "journalctl -b --no-pager -g e1000e\|eno1\|network\|0000\:00\:1f\.6\|suspen\|resum\|dhcp"
exit
The output will be in the file named log.txt
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

csmr

#3 Post by csmr »

Aki wrote: 2024-02-24 21:45 Can you please report the output of the following command run after resume from hibernate ?

script log.txt
su -l -c "journalctl -b --no-pager -g e1000e\|eno1\|network\|0000\:00\:1f\.6\|suspen\|resum\|dhcp"
exit
The output will be in the file named log.txt
Hello Aki!

Nice idea using scriptreplay!

Here is the log.txt: https://paste.debian.net/hidden/0ed79328/

Note:
- in the log.txt net-downup.sh is a script for ifdown & ifup, run by user fadmin.
- The desktop session that I use to trigger hibernate (LXDE desktop menu), and attempt to use the network connection with, is an user without group adm, but has groups netdev.
- I noticed the firewall does block connections at 2024-02-26T17:33:04.983212+02:00 after hibernation, over 30s before the fadmin user runs ifdown & ifup - implication: maybe connection problem is something related to the login session + user groups and their relation to DHCP.
- On the system, there is an admin fadmin with group adm, that I use to run the net-downup, and apt update for extra fun move.

$ groups
fadmin adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth scanner lpadmin gamer
- the desktop session user is gamer

$ groups
gamer cdrom floppy audio video plugdev games netdev
Not sure if this is the best arrangement, but I'm still figuring out how it would be best set up for a desktop user, running 3rd party games.
Last edited by csmr on 2024-02-26 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
I suppose you did something wrong: can you collect the log from the following commands ?

script log.txt
exit
Please, don't copy and paste the commands all at once, but line by line.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

csmr

#5 Post by csmr »

OK, so you wanted the output to shell console, not the log.txt?

Retry is here https://paste.debian.net/hidden/13f02150/ - the output to shell console. It is edited, deleted all the thousands of lines of firewall and dhcpdiscover messages.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hello,
csmr wrote: 2024-02-26 15:58 - in the log.txt net-downup.sh is a script for ifdown & ifup, run by user fadmin.
Is it run manually? Or is it run automatically by systemd?
csmr wrote: 2024-02-26 15:58 - The desktop session that I use to trigger hibernate (LXDE desktop menu), and attempt to use the network connection with, is an user without group adm, but has groups netdev.
Is it a your custom configuration ?
csmr wrote: 2024-02-26 15:58 - I noticed the firewall does block connections at 2024-02-26T17:33:04.983212+02:00 after hibernation, over 30s before the fadmin user runs ifdown & ifup - implication: maybe connection problem is something related to the login session + user groups and their relation to DHCP.
Again, is it a your custom configuration ?
csmr wrote: 2024-02-26 15:58 - On the system, there is an admin fadmin with group adm, that I use to run the net-downup, and apt update for extra fun move.

$ groups
fadmin adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth scanner lpadmin gamer
- the desktop session user is gamer

$ groups
gamer cdrom floppy audio video plugdev games netdev
Some questions:
1) Is the root account disabled or is it still enabled ?

2) Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewall to see if the network adapter is pulled up after resuming ?

3) How do you configure the firewall ?

4) Do you really need the modemmanager package (it generates useless warnings in the logs) ? if not, you can remove/purge it

5) What is the output of the command (it should not be installed):

netctl status
6) What is the output of the following command ?

apt list tldp
7) create a file named /etc/udev/rules.d/00-debug-net.rules (as shown below); then, reboot the system and hibernate; the system log should contain some lines about network configuration by udev before and after hibernation:

# /etc/udev/rules.d/00-debug-net.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="net", OPTIONS="log_level=debug"
8) Can you supply a full system log to verify calls and returns to systemd services and called services after 7) ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀