Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Advice for a graphic card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
El_Rapha

[Solved] Advice for a graphic card

#1 Post by El_Rapha »

Hi everyone,
I need a graphic card for my server/desktop running under Debian 12 or SID. The computer is a virtualization server plus my desktop. Currently it run a very old Nvidia that freeze my GUI with legacy driver (both nouveau and proprietary). Here my requirements for the ideal card:
  • Free driver
    Rock stable
    Enough powerfull for photo treatment, no video game
    Second hand
In fact an intel card would do the job but recent standalone intel cards are expansive and too much sized for my usage.

What about recent (< 5 years) AMD cards ?

Thank you for your advice!
Last edited by El_Rapha on 2024-03-04 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: Advice for a graphic card

#2 Post by fabien »

Hello El_Rapha, welcome to the forums!

What about IGPU (the GPU integrated in the CPU)? More than enough for desktop use in my opinion, and the simplest (and cheapest).
What do you use for photo processing? I think this generally uses CPU (I might be wrong).

El_Rapha

#3 Post by El_Rapha »

Hi Fabien,
Thank you for your answer.
you're right about the low GPU needs to process photos. My CPU does not have integrated GPU, the motherboard integrate a Matrox graphic card (G200) so only in VGA only...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

That means this is an older Xeon? I'd use any professional series (WX?) amd that fits your preference. I wouldn't use a triple fan OC gamer gadget. Let the cpu's do the work.

Make sure you enable the slotted card and disable the onboard in the motherboard bios.

El_Rapha

#5 Post by El_Rapha »

Ok for avoiding triple fan gamer gadget... but pro series are expensive. I am going to check the price in second hand,
I forgot to precise that I would like the card fully support wayland...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

something like a WX2100, 31, 41 or 5100.
I do think pro cards are better. Get something without extra power connectors. The pro 50-75 watt cards will last a very long time. Older ones will do just fine.

El_Rapha

#7 Post by El_Rapha »

Thank you very much for your advices, It sounds good, I 've look for WX in second hand, and it costs under 100€ for a WX 2100 to 5100. It is nice for me.