Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[O/S] Some lags here and there

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
crystalPikachu100

[O/S] Some lags here and there

#1 Post by crystalPikachu100 »

Hi! I have a Dell Inc. Latitude E5430 vPro, Intel® Core™ i5-3320M, 16GB of RAM and 4024MB of integrated video intel 4000 if i'm not mistaken

Some times I'm browsing the web and it lags all of the sudden

Some times I'm doing anything else and it stops and delay it functions (for example, I click a button and it responds like 10s later).

I'm not using VM, I wipe all of Windows DNA and installed Debian GNU/Linux just fine as my only OS on my 128GB SSD Drive.

So with all that said, Why is this happening to me? Isn't Linux supposed to be lighter, safer and faster than MacOS and Windows?

Why am I getting this mediocre performance hiccups on my humble laptop. I don't get it.

You see Windows 10 is dying on October 14, 2025 and I installed Linux right away so I don't have to make the migration by force that day.

I won't buy another laptop cuz I like this one and I wanna keep it for as long as I can no matter what.

I kindly ask you guys to teach me how to solve this lags, bugs, glitches or idk so I can stop regretting using Linux way too soon.

I said this because with my old OS (Windows 10 Pro) I didn't had the issues I'm mentioning here or at least not so often. So I please need to fix this because even tough I can tolerate lag I don't want to keep on having it for ever and I don't think Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any distro in general it's gonna make any difference. I have nothing against Ubuntu, Mint or anything at all it's just I don't like how Debian GNU/Linux it's behaving particularly on my laptop even tough I have decent specs and also I toggled the "high performance mode" under Settings > Power Mode and still it lags sometimes.

Can you guys tell me at least how to speed up my OS a little bit more please? By the way I'm using the default GNOME 43.9 Desktop Environment with the "Wayland" version of the windowing system. Just in case this helps to resolve my issue.

Thanks beforehand!

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: [O/S] Some lags here and there

#2 Post by lindi »

What browser are you using? Does the issue occur also if you boot from clean live USB? What site do you need to browse for this to happen?

crystalPikachu100

#3 Post by crystalPikachu100 »

@lindi

1# I use the latest version of Chrome.
2# I haven't booted up from clean live USB yet
3# It happens with youtube sometimes? other times with facebook if I'm not mistaken

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#4 Post by lindi »

Can you try to see if it happens with a browser that is part of Debian? For example chromium?

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#5 Post by bbbhltz »

Hi,

Check chrome://gpu and look for errors

You should test another browser. You can also try removing the battery from your laptop.

Are you using any extensions in Chrome or Gnome? Did you install via flatpak?

Gnome isn't the lightest choice but my 8-year-old laptop works fine and doesn't lag at all. But, I haven't ever tried Chrome.

I saw from another post that you are newish to Linux. Chromium and Chrome work the same so if you install the version in the repository it will work the same way, but may not be the most recent version.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie