Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] What do you wish you had known years ago?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Uptorn

[Discussion] What do you wish you had known years ago?

#1 Post by Uptorn »

Is there any tool or command or simpler/faster way of doing something that you wish you'd known about when starting out on Debian? Or when starting out on Linux, generally?

Diesel330

Re: [Discussion] What do you wish you had known years ago?

#2 Post by Diesel330 »

I wish I had tried Linux and Debian in particular when I learned about it in 2009 instead of 2019 when I actually started using it

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#3 Post by bbbhltz »

I have dropped money on fad tech a few times.

I got the first generation of EeePC, and then the second gen. Not complaining, but I ended up frying a motherboard on one and selling the other for next to nothing. If I had known, I wouldn't have even looked at them. Nice idea, but no for me.

I rushed around town on another occasion to find a new laptop in my price range. It was junk, but I got a few years out of it. I did need it, and quick, but I should have invested a little more.

Neither of those are as bad as my next purchase: a 2nd gen Chromebook. I didn't do my research and bought a model that, at the time, was incompatible with Linux. I used that for 4 years and made ALL of my many slides and documents on Google Docs. I'm a professor. Had I known that I would quit Gmail 4 years later and finally discover pandoc and start messing around with LaTeX as well to remake all of my presentations and documents...I wouldn't have bought that Chromebook.

Now I've had the same ThinkPad for...7 or 8 years? It turns on in a few seconds and the battery still lasts 9 hours, sometimes 10. If I had only gone to the thrift store and bought a second hand quality laptop I would have saved so much time and money.

Also, to be more on topic with this being a Debian forum, I probably never needed to distro hop. I always end up back on Debian stable. But I guess I learned a lot along the way.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

My personal list, TL;DR

Off that list is one others should realize judging from the continuing post on the subject:
RAID DOESN'T HELP personal sized systems

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by donald »

The absolute value of installing and using the Screen program. Even on home machines.

The screen program allows you to use multiple windows (virtual VT100 terminals) in Unix.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

thatguychuck

#6 Post by thatguychuck »

Separating out my ssh configs into ~/.ssh/config.d/
My ~/.ssh/config file grew large and difficult to edit. You can make your ~/.ssh/config have only one line

Code: Select all

include config.d/*
Then you can create the config.d/ folder and then add as many different config files as you need, one for home, one for each different VPS provider, ect. Add whatever file sync program you like and have it everywhere.

Uptorn

#7 Post by Uptorn »

Diesel330 wrote: 2024-03-05 18:34 I wish I had tried Linux and Debian in particular when I learned about it in 2009 instead of 2019 when I actually started using it
The ten years could have represented the difference between fumbling around and mastery. I have a very similar experience to yours, only a gap ranging from 2004-2014. I try not to think about how much more capable I might have become with computers if only I'd persisted trying to get Ubuntu onto my first ever computer. :sad:

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by wizard10000 »

Let's see...

* Fixing a broken machine is more difficult than not breaking it in the first place.

* Understand what you're doing before you do it, especially if you're running Other People's Code.

* Almost every issue you encounter on a computer can be resolved without reinstalling the OS.

* If you can put something back the way it was before you started messing with it you can hack at just about anything without fear.

* Take the time to develop and test a bulletproof backup strategy.

* Random blogs and YouTube tutorials are of questionable value. Get your help from your distribution's resources first.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Uptorn

#9 Post by Uptorn »

Early on, I could have really benefited knowing the desktop environment =/= operating system, or at least that it's not so highly integrated that it cannot be swapped out for something else.
wizard10000 wrote: 2024-03-06 12:20 * Random blogs and YouTube tutorials are of questionable value. Get your help from your distribution's resources first.
They can even be detrimental since absolute beginners are often walked through complex processes without the tutorials taking the time to explain what is being done and why.

pbear

#10 Post by pbear »

Have learned a lot of tricks over the years. One of which I'm particularly fond is configuring an alias to use the GUI text editor for config files. For short files, I'm fine with nano, but GUI is a lot easier for large files.

echo "export SUDO_EDITOR='gedit -w'" | tee -a .bashrc ; echo "alias edit='sudoedit'" | tee -a .bashrc ; source .bashrc
To use is as simple as edit /path/to/file (will be prompted for password). Depending on desktop, may need to replace gedit, of course.

dlu2021

#11 Post by dlu2021 »

My main one would be not to be afraid of the terminal. After all it is the universal GUI of Linux. Lately when trying to do a task, I try to do it though the terminal commands first.

Chaussettes

#12 Post by Chaussettes »

Pasting

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="cff:no-stem-darkening=0 autofitter:no-stem-darkening=0"
into /etc/environment and rebooting results in crystal clear nearly mac-esque font rendering. I went for years staring at the default unconfigured freetype fonts and can never go back
Creating art on deviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/chaussettes99

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by cds60601 »

The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by CwF »

Maybe instead of my long list of stuff I wish I knew then, that which organizes this list will be what I wish I knew then...the OP did include 'tools'
CherryTree! I love it. Using it since before it was accepted into Debian proper, now included, has become the most important element in keeping my mind organized. Sure there are many choices, and the choice should be personal, but 'note' and 'organizer' software continues to be a transient thing with short lives. Abandonware is a real concern for anybody in the game for longer than a decade or more.

sinterva

#15 Post by sinterva »

#Force english fallback
export LANGUAGE="nb_NO:nb:no_NO:no:en"

in my .bashrc makes it so that when my native norwegian is lacking for some reason it falls back to english and not to swedish or danish.
I understand them perfectly, but it is sort of a pride thing, I'd rather not have my workflow interrupted by my computer mistaking me for a swede or dane.

jmgibson1981

#16 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I wish I had known that learning programming when you are 42 is much harder than when you are a teenager. Instead I spent time playing games on the computer. I could be much further along if I had started learning back then.

friendlysalmon88

#17 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

I wish that i had learned how to respect not only respect figures of authority not just in my immediate physical environment but also in my electronic life as well. Further I wish that while I was still in high-school that i had stuck with my guns and started using Linux and other Unix-Workalike operating systems.