Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

After installing xfce, there is no menu on debian X terminal emulator?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
paulvirtuel

After installing xfce, there is no menu on debian X terminal emulator?

#1 Post by paulvirtuel »

On a debian bookworm VM, I installed xfce4.

I am trying to change settings for the 'debian X terminal emulator' but there is no menu on that application, it only shows mlterm at the top, and I cannot find it in 'Applications -> Settings'.

On the xfce page it shows a terminal with a menu: https://docs.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/preferences

Is there a way to configure 'debian X terminal emulator'? Or to switch to the one I see in xfce link above?

dlu2021

Re: [HowTo] After installing xfce, there is no menu on debian X terminal emulator?

#2 Post by dlu2021 »

You should be able to set the default terminal program in the Settings app.

paulvirtuel

Re: [HowTo] After installing xfce, there is no menu on debian X terminal emulator?

#3 Post by paulvirtuel »

Thanks for helping.

Do you recommend I install another terminal emulator because there are no settings for 'debian X terminal emulator'?

Under 'Applications -> Settings -> Default Applications -> Utilities' there is only 'debian X terminal emulator'.

dlu2021

#4 Post by dlu2021 »

Yes, normally during the xfce install the xfce4-terminal package gets installed.

paulvirtuel

#5 Post by paulvirtuel »

Ok thanks!

I installed this:
apt install xfce4-terminal

I probably used the option --no-install-recommends when I installed xfce.

Now I have the menus and options on the terminal window.
Last edited by paulvirtuel on 2024-03-11 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#6 Post by fabien »

paulvirtuel wrote: 2024-03-11 19:45 I probably used the option --no-install-recommends when I installed xfce.
Not necessarily, the only package that explicitly depends on xfce4-terminal is xfce4-goodies.

dlu2021

#7 Post by dlu2021 »

It looks like it is also a recommends for task-xfce-desktop.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#8 Post by fabien »

dlu2021 wrote: 2024-03-11 20:10 It looks like it is also a recommends for task-xfce-desktop.
That's right, I did a mistake when checking.