Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] [Solved] Debian 12 Missing Resolvectl

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ranomark

#1 Post by ranomark »

In my work environment I very frequently have the need to flush DNS cache, for which my go-to tool has been "resolvectl flush-caches" (and "systemd-resolve --flush-caches"before that). I recently upgraded to Debian 12 Bookworm and just today needed to flush the DNS cache, but to my surprise the new Debian OS seems to include neither resolvectl nor systemd-resolved. I have spent literally hours trying to verify this but have only found numerous examples of using those commands rather than an explanation as to why they're not included. Also surprising is that, if this omission is intentional, there seems to be no alternative other than rebooting. I was hoping the community here could give me some guidance.

bw123

Re: [Software] Debian 12 Missing Resolvectl

#2 Post by bw123 »

is this applicable?
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookwor ... d-resolved
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/

I don't have an explanation, didn't look for one really for more than a minute or two, but I'm sorry it caused you a problem and time. Thanks if you can spare another minute or three and update the thread with more info.

You might help some really cool people on here, debian users!
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ranomark

#3 Post by ranomark »

Thank you @bw123 for the links to the release notes. The first link explained everything very clearly, and installing systemd-resolved manually was the solution.

reinob

#4 Post by reinob »

It really is important to read the release notes before upgrading!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

ranomark wrote: 2023-06-29 14:08 Thank you @bw123 for the links to the release notes. The first link explained everything very clearly, and installing systemd-resolved manually was the solution.
@ranomark : please mark the thread as "Solved" adding the tag "[Solved]" to the subject of the first post, e.g.:
---
Moderator edit (aki) Mon Jul 10 07:32:56 CEST 2023: added [Solved] tag to the subject of the first post
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Leester

Re: [Software] [Solved] Debian 12 Missing Resolvectl

#6 Post by Leester »

Well, I'm new to Debian and just installed bookworm using the Net install ISO and I don't have systemd-resolved installed. I have an /etc/resolv.conf so I assume I'm using the legacy resolver library.

It's trivial to install it, but I want to understand why it wasn't installed. During the OS install, I chose the text installation and unchecked everything except openssh server and the system utilities options.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Leester wrote: I want to understand why it wasn't installed. During the OS install, I chose the text installation and unchecked everything except openssh server and the system utilities options.
See Debian Bookworm release notes: and here:
  • 5.2.4. systemd-resolved has been split into a separate package:
    The new systemd-resolved package will not be installed automatically on upgrades. If you were using the systemd-resolved system service, please install the new package manually after the upgrade, and note that until it has been installed, DNS resolution might no longer work since the service will not be present on the system. Installing this package will automatically give systemd-resolved control of /etc/resolv.conf. For more information about systemd-resolved, consult the official documentation. Note that systemd-resolved was not, and still is not, the default DNS resolver in Debian. If you have not configured your machine to use systemd-resolved as the DNS resolver, no action is required.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

teclab

#8 Post by teclab »

I was now running into the same trouble installing from debian-live-12.5.0-amd64-standard.iso

Neither resolvconf.service nor systemd-resolved.service is installed per default.

It is stated here, that systemd is the "modern" way https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ithout_gui
systemd-networkd.service is installed per default, so the obediant user is setting this up, fairly easy, and will get an IP using DHCP. But DNS is missing!

So from my perspective it is understandable that people are confused, me included.

thx