Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't Login On Any TTY Fresh Install Debian 12 - Intel Compute Stick

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
u_fantasticfish_u

Can't Login On Any TTY Fresh Install Debian 12 - Intel Compute Stick

#1 Post by u_fantasticfish_u »

I have been using Debian on an Intel Compute Stick (model STK1A32SC) to host a website. It always has this problem: when I plug it into a display I can't login to the system through any TTY. In the past I installed a gui and then could log in. SSH always worked with no issues. I don't want to install the gui again, I want to login through the TTY.

I erased the drive a week ago and installed Debian 12 with the netinstall ISO that I burned to a usb stick. The ISO checksum is correct.

This is what happens when I boot the computer: Debian boots up and it shows the user login prompt on TTY 1. I try to type in my username and when I touch the keyboard the prompt disappears and there is just a blinking dash in the top left corner of the screen. If I take my hands off the keyboard and wait, then the prompt shows again. When I touch the keyboard, it disappears again. This happens on every TTY. Even if I blindly type in my login credentials and password it doesn't work.

Using chroot I have tried adding "nomodeset" to /etc/default/grub and running update-grub. I also tried changing the default grub resolution in that file, and setting grub to boot to console mode.
I also tried using different monitors and keyboards. The compute stick is connected to the monitors through HDMI.
None of this has fixed the problem. Are there more troubleshooting steps I am missing? Thanks.

ruwolf

Re: Can't Login On Any TTY Fresh Install Debian 12 - Intel Compute Stick

#2 Post by ruwolf »

There is no record of this disappearing in the systemd journal, no errors?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
What happens when you boot into recovery mode (see attached video) ?
Attachments
grub2_start_in_recovery_mode.zip
(130.97 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

u_fantasticfish_u

#4 Post by u_fantasticfish_u »

I checked the log with journalctl and I found this:

Code: Select all

Feb 27 15:52:01 ccmwebserver agetty[585]: tty1: invalid character 0x1b in login name
Feb 27 15:52:11 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Deactivated successfully.
Feb 27 15:52:12 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Feb 27 15:52:12 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Stopped getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
Feb 27 15:52:12 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Started getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
Feb 27 16:04:36 ccmwebserver agetty[652]: tty1: invalid character 0x1b in login name
Feb 27 16:04:46 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Deactivated successfully.
Feb 27 16:04:47 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Feb 27 16:04:47 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Stopped getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
Feb 27 16:04:47 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Started getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
Feb 27 16:04:48 ccmwebserver agetty[659]: tty1: invalid character 0x1b in login name
Feb 27 16:04:58 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Deactivated successfully.
Feb 27 16:04:58 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Feb 27 16:04:58 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Stopped getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
Feb 27 16:04:58 ccmwebserver systemd[1]: Started getty@tty1.service - Getty on tty1.
The character 0x1b is the escape key, which is weird because my login name is just "ccm", no special characters. Now I remember that when I had tried to install ubuntu server on this computer I couldn't even start the installation process because every key I pressed showed as garbage in the tty (like [[[A' or something like that). I used the graphical install on Debian and never had that issue.

If I boot into recovery mode it's the same problem and I can't log in. Is it a driver or firmware? I don't know the term, but maybe it isn't loaded before the desktop environment?

u_fantasticfish_u

#5 Post by u_fantasticfish_u »

I also saw these messages:

Feb 27 15:32:12 ccmwebserver kernel: cherryview-pinctrl: probe of INT33FF:04 failed with error -61
Feb 27 15:32:12 ccmwebserver kernel: Expanded resource Reserved due to conflict with PCI Bus 0000:00
Feb 27 15:32:13 ccmwebserver kernel: intel_sst_acpi 808622A8:00: No matching machine driver found

Googling the cherryview-pinctrl message leads to this Arch Linux forum discussion where the built in keyboard and trackpad on a laptop aren't working at all. If I Google the intel_sst_acpi error I just see people having problems with sound output.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hello,

How is the keyboard connected to the computer stick ?

Can you test a replacement keyboard ?

note: this is the manual of you computer stick:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

u_fantasticfish_u

#7 Post by u_fantasticfish_u »

Thank you for the manual. I am using an apple aluminum wired keyboard with an attached usb cable and I plug it directly into the usb port on the machine. I also tested a different keyboard, an alienware keyboard, also wired with a usb cable and plugged into the computer's usb port. Both had the same problem. My keyboard layout is QWERTY US.

u_fantasticfish_u

#8 Post by u_fantasticfish_u »

New Information!
I changed the file /etc/default/keyboard in chroot. I set the options to: XKBMODEL="applealu_ansi" XKBLAYOUT="us" XKBVARIANT="mac"
I booted up Debian and nothing had changed. I still couldn't log in. I did notice this time that these are the only characters I can type: /*-+= and tab and my arrow keys work.
So I tried recovery mode again. I should have said exactly what happens instead of saying it's just the same problem. Recovery mode actually says "login incorrect enter root password for maintenance or press control-D" on anything I type in. Control-D doesn't work. Today I tried it again and I held down control and pressed random keys on my keyboard until it let me into tty1. In this recovery mode tty, I was able to type in and see my login perfectly and enter my password. I logged into the server! But when I reboot into the normal startup mode I can't login again.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Aki »

According to the user manual, you have two USB ports: one 3.0, one 2.0. The USB 3.0 port could be problematic.

Have you tried booting with the keyboard directly connected to both (without using a hub) ?

Can you send a full system log (connecting via ssh) after you tried logging in using the keyboard / tty ? The log could be generated with the command:

Code: Select all

script log.txt
su -l -c "journalctl -b --no-pager"
exit
The log will the in the file named log.txt. You can report it in one the following ways:
  • attaching the logs to a follow-up forum message as a compressed zip or gz file
  • paste logs into the body of a follow-up message between code tags (if they fit the size of a forum message)
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀