Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian compatible graphics cards

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ObsoleteMan

Debian compatible graphics cards

#1 Post by ObsoleteMan »

Hello,
Does anyone know of a listing of Debian compatible graphics cards or cards that will work with Linux in general.
Thanks,
ObsoleteMan

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian compatible graphics cards

#2 Post by sunrat »

Debian supports most graphics cards. Really old ones over maybe 15 or 20 years old may be a problem. Some older Nvidia cards are not supported by the latest proprietary drivers but may have a legacy driver available, and alternatively may often work fine under the open-source Nouveau driver.
Bleeding-edge cards may require newer drivers and other graphics stack components like Mesa than are available in Stable.
AMD cards are often reported to be less problematic but that doesn't mean zero problems.
I have always had Nvidia cards myself and generally they have been problem-free. Don't believe everyone who says "Nvidia bad, AMD good", it's more nuanced than that!

Answering your question more directly, I don't think there is such a list.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Uptorn

#3 Post by Uptorn »

sunrat wrote: 2024-03-16 01:35 Answering your question more directly, I don't think there is such a list.
One may be able to reference lists detailing systems on which only Linux is generally deployed.

kalle123

#4 Post by kalle123 »