Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Important Wayland related milestone on the horizon.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
manyroads

Important Wayland related milestone on the horizon.

#1 Post by manyroads »

"Fedora The Fedora project might be the first Linux distribution to ship a desktop spin that includes the COSMIC desktop. COSMIC is a young desktop environment developed by System76 and written in Rust. COSMIC was developed by System76 for its own Pop!_OS distribution and a team is working on porting it to Fedora. The Fedora project has put out a request for help in getting COSMIC ready for the distribution: "As with most things in the Fedora Project, things exist because there is a community of contributors who come together to make it happen. We manifest things into existence. Fedora COSMIC and Ryan's work can go far, but only if he's supported by more people. If you want to see Fedora COSMIC happen, pitching in is the best way to make it so."

The Fedora team is considering dropping GNOME on X11 from the Fedora Workstation edition of their distribution. This would leave users with just GNOME on Wayland as the sole desktop option for the Workstation spin. A discussion about the change indicates GNOME will be offered on Wayland only for Fedora 41, expected to be released in October or November of 2024. "

If you want to see the details here's the base link on Distrowatch:
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20240311#news
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm
Linux User #449130

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Important Wayland related milestone on the horizon.

#2 Post by CwF »

Since it's not Debian, it Off-Topic!

This is the kind of push Wayland needs. Actually many things in Linux need this kind of commitment and focus in order to become something. I applaud making a choice.

On the other hand, I know now I won't be tinkering with Fedora...

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Important Wayland related milestone on the horizon.

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

CwF wrote: 2024-03-16 16:13 On the other hand, I know now I won't be tinkering with Fedora...
:mrgreen:

I was using RedHat when Fedora became a thing; I stuck with it through Fedora Core 6 I think. No interest in revisiting that distribution :)

I guess I'll switch to Wayland when openbox no longer works; I did play with labwc for awhile and may do so again but IMO labwc isn't quite ready for primetime.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin