Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] i386 install (not download) progress very slow

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MatN

[Software] i386 install (not download) progress very slow

#1 Post by MatN »

Hi,
Debian Bookworm 32 bit, on real hardware, AMD 5700 G CPU (16 threads), sata SSDs, fast ethernet connection, kernel with 'nomodeset' parameter.
If I do an apt-get, then an apt-update, the downloads go fast enough. But then it goes to actually install the downloads, where the progress bar is shown. This take extremely long, like well over an hour (over 1000 packages updated).
The strange thing is, memory is hardly used, CPU utilization 0 or 1%, network activity zero, storage activity zero and lots of free space; as shown by the various monitoring items on the XFCE panel). To me it looks like apt is waiting for something all the time.

What is wrong here? Have I configured something wrong? Specific for the 32-bit version?

I also installed Bookworm 32 bit in a VirtualBox VM, the same thing happens (on a different, but also fast PC, VM with 4 threads).
And on the same (multi-boot) hardware, 64 bit Mint 21.3 apt-update goes very much faster.

Thanks, MatN

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Software] i386 install (not download) progress very slow

#2 Post by CwF »

Could this be a AMD compatibility issue?

It seems the i686 code base is becoming less and less optimized as we go forward away from native code. I use fewer instances of it now since I noticed less advantage a few years back and now maintain only one image for ancient computer testing and wine32. On Intel hardware I've never seen what you describe. The last upgrade to bookworm was the size you describe and it did see and consume 4GB+ during the update, and did complete within 10-15 minutes after download never idling the cpu's and clocking up on initramfs regen and the like.

Overall, on a 64 bit computer I see no appreciable advantage any more.