Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Canon Pixma iP8750 will not print colour on bookworm

Need help with peripherals or devices?
AustinPrior

Canon Pixma iP8750 will not print colour on bookworm

#1 Post by AustinPrior »

Hi there,

I've connected the printer by USB to a Ryzen 5 PC and I used the driver available from Canon and ran the install script with no issues.

Any job I send to the printer comes out monochrome no matter what settings I use. WiFi printing from android results in colour so it's not a problem with the printer.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Canon Pixma iP8750 will not print colour on bookworm

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

It looks like the printer can use Airprint, in which case you should set up a driverless printer queue.

https://www.canon.ie/support/consumer/p ... ?type=apps

viewtopic.php?t=153763

AustinPrior

#3 Post by AustinPrior »

Thank you for that but my desktop doesn't have WiFi and the printer has no Ethernet port (very annoying for a networked device) so I need to get it working by USB. Unless there is a way to bridge the LAN to the WAN that's not too complicated.

I know that I had this same printer working via USB with great results on previous installations of Ubuntu and maybe Mint but I'm really trying to fix my problems here on Debian and make it my longterm home in stead of distro-hopping!

Still open to any ideas, networked or local.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

AustinPrior wrote: 2024-03-22 13:41 Thank you for that but my desktop doesn't have WiFi and the printer has no Ethernet port (very annoying for a networked device) so I need to get it working by USB. Unless there is a way to bridge the LAN to the WAN that's not too complicated.

I know that I had this same printer working via USB with great results on previous installations of Ubuntu and maybe Mint but I'm really trying to fix my problems here on Debian and make it my longterm home in stead of distro-hopping!

Still open to any ideas, networked or local.
Driverless printing works with USB too. In fact, the system will set up a USB driverless print queue by default and vendor drivers will not work.

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... The_Basics

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting#ipp-usb

AustinPrior

#5 Post by AustinPrior »

I did not know that. Thanks for the links. If I may trouble you with one more question: Do you know if I'll lose any features or fine-tuning controls when going driverless?

For example: The printer can print A3+ size, print direct onto optical discs and uses an additional grey ink. Will the controls be simplified idf I go without the drivers?

Thanks again!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

AustinPrior wrote: 2024-03-22 15:42 I did not know that. Thanks for the links. If I may trouble you with one more question: Do you know if I'll lose any features or fine-tuning controls when going driverless?

For example: The printer can print A3+ size, print direct onto optical discs and uses an additional grey ink. Will the controls be simplified idf I go without the drivers?

Thanks again!
Almost certainly that software is Windows only. The only information I could find on the internet seemed to confirm this.

https://alt.os.linux.mint.narkive.com/v ... -mint-18-1