Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Best-Of] Threads for the week.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-02-11

#21 Post by Best_Threads »

High-Pitched Squeals, Crackles and Pops in Debian 12 with Nahimic Audio Chipset
“it seems that these sound problems occur whenever I click restart in Windows 11 and then boot into Debian (without powering down).” :linked:

[Solved] Not detecting Nvme drives during install
“Found 2 remapped NVMe devices. Switch your BIOS from RAID to AHCI mode to use them.” :linked:

my labwc experiment :)
“I'm experimenting with Wayland using labwc as a window manager. labwc was inspired by openbox and config formats are similar.”
Feel free to mention @Best_Threads if you see a topic that you think should be highlighted, or just send Best_Threads a PM with the URL

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-02-19

#22 Post by Best_Threads »

Install Debian 12 "Network autoconfiguration failed"
“to cut a long story short, for whatever reason, the setup and fresh installation uses the wrong network interface!”

[Discussion] Why are severely broken point releases being released for Bookworm
“what is the logic behind knowing there is a major bug in a potential release and then releasing it anyway and rushing to fix it/losing sleep versus just delaying until it's fixed?”:linked:
Feel free to mention @Best_Threads if you see a topic that you think should be highlighted, or just send Best_Threads a PM with the URL

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-02-25

#23 Post by Best_Threads »

Make bootable external hard drive system work on most machines
“What packages do I need and what, if any, config changes do I need to make, to give it this kind of hardware agnosticism?”

[Discussion] Basic Project/work management software
“I run a small business [...] by myself and looking to see if there is any Linux software that will run a basic to-do/work list.” :linked:

[Discussion] How do you name your devices?
“For those who have several different devices, a compute cluster, a 'homelab' or who are responsible for large deployments; do you adhere to a naming convention?” :linked:

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-03-03

#24 Post by Best_Threads »

[Solved] Apt invalid signatures
“What does the command ls -l /bin/sh print?”

[O/S] [SOLVED] Resize ESP partition with gparted
“I am trying to shrink down ESP so that I can make some room to increase boot partition size.”

[Discussion] What change, if implemented, would cause you to leave Debian?
“Big or small, broad or niche, do you draw the line on a particular choice that future Debian might make?”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-03-10

#25 Post by Best_Threads »

Crashes and freezes in Linux with (some) Ryzen CPUs
“What I'm kind of hoping here is that others with the same problem might chime in with their experiences and we can build a little knowledge base here”

[SID - Unstable] update stuck at resolving dependencies
“Sid is in the middle of a big time_t transition.”

[Software] How to update to newer version of YT-DLP?
“What I do is download the [...] yt-dlp file [...] It's just a simple Python script.”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-03-17

#26 Post by Best_Threads »

[Solved] LUKS+TPM2 unattended boot on Debian 12
“the threats I'm trying to defend against are an attacker removing a hard drive from the server and mounting its filesystem elsewhere, as well as an attacker altering kernel parameters passed from Grub” :linked:

[Solved] Disable Administrator Password For Downloading Software In Software Store
“I don't use a 'software store' but assume it uses polkit? The rule I gave there is like your sudo rule, all rights always no password, use wisely.” :linked:
(Thanks to @donald for pointing this one out)

[Solved] resume from suspend via keyboard
“... seems you now have to wake up the port *and* the device on the port.”

[Solved] Install VirtualBox or Virt-Manager
Was “[Software] Install VirtualBox”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-03-24

#27 Post by Best_Threads »

[Solved] Bluetooth sound unstable
“I have a Bluetooth headphones and its sound interrupts with total silence every few minutes for a several seconds.”

[Software] [Solved] Samba doesn't work on ExFAT, but drives make noise when using Ext4
“Did you notice this right after installation (and formatting with the installer)?”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-03-31

#28 Post by Best_Threads »

[HowTo] Automatically run scripts on a desktop/laptop with Anacron
“Automation saves time and effort by getting repetitive tasks out of the way.” :linked:

testing an USB-flash-stick 32 GB with the command "badblocks"
“13.3 days for a 32 GB USB-Flash-Stick? Can this be true?”

No luck installing OS without external storage.
“It is documented in "Debian bookworm -- Installation Guide" [...] And it works like a charm.”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-04-07

#29 Post by Best_Threads »

[Off-Topic] Help wanted: Writing a beginner's book to Debian
“I could do it alone, but a small team would be even better. That's why I'm reaching out to you for advice and/or help.”

[HowTo] Get Wi-FI working on host and guest if you're using LXQT/connman/Virt Manager
“as soon as the guest OSes booted, I noticed a complete loss of network connectivity, both in the host and guest.”

[Solved] How to stop mate from unlocking keyring at startup?
“I would like to only unlock the keyring the first time it is needed during a session.” :linked:

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-04-14

#30 Post by Best_Threads »

[Discussion] Help me understand root and sudo
“it seems that sudo or the doas alternative cancel out the security benefit of privilege-hierarchy.”

[HowTo] How do I install Qtile on Bookworm
“Since Bookworm and later don't accept installing Python stuff using pip anymore, all the guides don't work anymore. [...] So, how i installed Qtile?”

[Solved] Macbook Pro 2019 with BCM4364 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter, with Debian 12 (Weekly): But, NO WiFi

[Solved] Lost System Timing...Is this NTP configured properly?
“Think you are a nerd now? Wait until you make time for it. :)
(Thanks to @Aki for pointing this one out)

Creating a custom Debian kernel package with an external patch
“that's a "work in progress" sketch on how to do it "the Debian way"”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-04-21

#31 Post by Best_Threads »

Debian 12 Install Hangs at Installation Menu without messages Alienware M18 r1
“Switched back the SSD to the old laptop, [... ...] switched back the SSD to the Alienware, and voila !”

PowerMac G4 PPC - debian netinstall woes
“the issue arises when the installer tries to activate the NIC. Apparently the NIC is not recognised”

vim and finnish spellcheck
“get finnish spellcheck to work with vim 9,0”

[Discussion] What's that ONE Live Distro on USB/CD you keep for emergency
“I keep hearing "use a live distro to login and fix <whatever> issue" but could never figure out what is/are the popular such distros that people keep as emergency/backup/fallback.”