Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
JohnTaylor

[Solved] Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

#1 Post by JohnTaylor »

Hello all. This is my first time posting, so please be patient with me.

As the title says, I'm trying to run my second monitor off of the integrated graphics port on my motherboard (the first monitor is running off my dedicated card). I've verified that this hardware setup works as expected on Windows 10, but here on Bookworm the second monitor isn't being recognized or displayed to. I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo, and made sure all the packages are sound. lspci -k shows that the integrated gpu has associated kernel modules (amdgpu), but they're not loaded. Similarly lshw shows my integrated graphics as UNCLAIMED. Going a bit further the X server logs and dmesg show that the amdgpu driver is failing to initialize for whatever reason, but at this point I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Logs and hardware below. Please let me know what else would be helpful.

Hardware:
Ryzen 7 7700X
GTX 1070 Ti
MSI B650 Gaming + Wifi

Logs:
lspci
lshw
X logs
dmesg
Last edited by JohnTaylor on 2024-03-27 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

Re: Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Hello, Mr. JohnTaylor. :)
Do you have disabled so called fast boot in Microsoft Windows 10?
BBS.ArchLinux.org: Problem with amdgpu firmware wrote:hibernating Windows could easily lead to the firmware being left in an undefined state.

JohnTaylor

Re: Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

#3 Post by JohnTaylor »

ruwolf wrote: 2024-03-27 02:56 Hello, Mr. JohnTaylor. :)
Do you have disabled so called fast boot in Microsoft Windows 10?
BBS.ArchLinux.org: Problem with amdgpu firmware wrote:hibernating Windows could easily lead to the firmware being left in an undefined state.
I've disabled fast boot, and now the driver is loading properly! It's almost poetic that it was actually a Windows issue all along...

Now I'm left with a black screen that shows my cursor as an X, so I'm not quite done debugging yet, but this seems like a separate issue. Nevertheless this is still great progress, and I'm sure I can find my way from here.

ruwolf, you have my thanks!

ruwolf

Re: [Solved] Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

#4 Post by ruwolf »

You are welcome, I am glad I have been able to help you at least a bit. :-)
I do not use Microsoft Windows, but friend have issue with it quite recently.
I was surprised, that Microsoft calls wake-up from hibernation with such misleading name (fast boot).
I hate such confusing of users, because it leads to problems like with your system.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Trouble running second monitor off of integrated graphics

#5 Post by sunrat »

It's actually called "Fast Startup". I tested it once and it speeded up startup by 2 seconds but took 10 extra seconds to shut down. It should be called "Fast Startup/Slow Shutdown". :lol:

Here's a good article describing it and includes how to disable it:
The Pros and Cons of Windows 10's "Fast Startup" Mode
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!